Thread: any info please-driving me nucking futs!!

any info please-driving me nucking futs!!

Ok hello fellow nurses,thanks for takin the time to read my post. here is my current, messed up situtaion...my nursing license was put on probation until this coming Jan.2010. I just got my 2nd DUI(alcohol) in one year...my question is..when its time to "reinstate" my license will they do a criminal backround check? And if so, will I get in trouble because I never reported it, scared of loosing my license. Hlep any info would help! thanks..

Re: any info please-driving me nucking futs!!

Desilou,
    Hi. I have a Nurse friend who got a DUI, did not report herself, and the BON called her previous employer for her records. So they do find out somehow. I say come clean and face the wreakage. I am in recovery as well, I did the alternative program and just getting my license off vol. surrender this week, been a long road but worth it. I have had a good experience with BON and DAC-they really have helped me and have been caring and kind. Good luck, hope you find the right solution.
    Tracey

Smile Re: any info please-driving me nucking futs!!

Yes, sooner or later, things seem to turn up. Either way you handle this situation, hope that things turn out ok for you.

Re: any info please-driving me nucking futs!!

Quote Originally Posted by TraceR View Post
    Desilou,
    Hi. I have a Nurse friend who got a DUI, did not report herself, and the BON called her previous employer for her records. So they do find out somehow. I say come clean and face the wreakage. I am in recovery as well, I did the alternative program and just getting my license off vol. surrender this week, been a long road but worth it. I have had a good experience with BON and DAC-they really have helped me and have been caring and kind. Good luck, hope you find the right solution.
    Tracey

Thanks for replying, my question is why did the BON call her employer for her records? Im curretnly unemployed. So Im not sure when my license is done being on probation, when I have to have a informal hearing with the BON will they have done a criminal backround check done first? I live in Illinlois, Im sure its different state to state. But I know if I admit to it my license will be revoked for sure. I hate to hide the truth, but to be honest I rather just let it slide and hope that they dont do a check for misdemenors! MY lawyer told me that he has worked for nurses with DUI's and it dosent affect their license, but he didnt know I was already on probation. I have been in complete compliance with the probation, drug testing, meetings, etc... But Im just unsure what to do ??

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Red face Re: any info please-driving me nucking futs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Desilou View Post
    Thanks for replying, my question is why did the BON call her employer for her records? Im curretnly unemployed. So Im not sure when my license is done being on probation, when I have to have a informal hearing with the BON will they have done a criminal backround check done first? I live in Illinlois, Im sure its different state to state. But I know if I admit to it my license will be revoked for sure. I hate to hide the truth, but to be honest I rather just let it slide and hope that they dont do a check for misdemenors! MY lawyer told me that he has worked for nurses with DUI's and it dosent affect their license, but he didnt know I was already on probation. I have been in complete compliance with the probation, drug testing, meetings, etc... But Im just unsure what to do ??
    Your post suggests that your license is/was on probation for some substance related offense - thus the reason you have been going to meetings, submitted to drug testing etc...... Such programs require a period of complete abstinance/sobriety so if you just got a DUI you have not as you said been compliant. Those of us who know we are alcoholics know we tend to lie to ourselves. I know it varies from state to state but it almost certain your state board will run a fingerprint and criminal background check before reinstating your license. Most likely you will be referred back into some kind of out or In-patient treatment. Remember they are looking not just at your record but your ability to make sound safe judgement in practice - driving after even one drink is not sound judgement in the eyes of the law or the board.

You need to be sure that you have a sound foundation in recovery before you try to return to clinical practice....otherwise you will continue to repeat this cycle.

Hope this is a reality you are ready to own.

Peace and namaste

Hppygr8ful

I there. A friend in my nurse support group got a DUI on her own time nothing to do with her work. They said probably nothing would come of it. Well she's in diversion and she had to stop working. It seems they find out no matter what you do or don't do. My 2 DUI's were 15 years before I even became a nurse and they manage to find those too.

Good Luck with you r decision