Thread: We need signatures- get rid of hesi!!!!!

We need signatures- get rid of hesi!!!!!

HELLO,
    I AM NEW TO THIS WEBSITE. I AM A CURRENT GRAD. JUST TOOK THE 'EVIL' HESI EXAM ON MAY 10 AND WAS BLESSED TO PASS. ONLY 17 OUT OF 48 PASSED. THEY WERE NOT ABLE TO GRADUATE WITH US. IT'S HORRIBLE!!! FOR THOSE OF YOU, THAT HAVE TAKEN HESI- U KNOW WHAT CRAZY EXAM THAT IS. IT'S UNFAIR. WE HAVE TO GET A SCORE OF 870 AND ONLY GET 2 CHANCES. IF YOU DON'T PASS THE 2ND TIME, YOU REPEAT THE ENTIRE YEAR... PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION GOIN AROUND. PASS IT TO YOUR FAMILY/ FRIENDS. JUSTICE NEEDS TO BE SERVED. HESI IS BANNED IN OTHER STATES. NCLEX SHOULD BE THE ONLY ONE THAT DETERMINES IF WE GET OUR LICENSE OR NOT..
    THANK YOU

http://www.gopetition.com/online/36362.html

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: We need signatures- get rid of hesi!!!!!

Welcome to the site, FutureRN.

I am sorry to hear/read about your classmates' misfortune. Just to be curious, what state are you in?

Re: We need signatures- get rid of hesi!!!!!

I loved Hesi. I enjoyed every practice, and found it a very good indicator of passing Nclex. (this from hearing scores from my class mates, and who passed NCLEX easily)

The problem may be with the nursing program. If very few are passing Hesi...then that means the school is not adequately preparing students to pass the NCLEX. The issue isn't likely a test that is widely used by many nursing schools, but instead with the program that has a smaller % of students getting past it.

HESI isn't there to keep you from getting a nursing lisence, schools use it so the percent of graduating nursing students who pass NCLEX first try is high- as it should be. Who wants to pay for a school with low odds of getting you through boards?

i had no problem with the HESI we took at the end of a very busy month i got a 1196, our school is very nclex centric though maybe that helped. we'll see how i do on the nclex.
    brett

ER RN

ambulance driver

"when it matters most"

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    We took this exam at our school but it was only used as an indicator of our potential success/failure on the NCLEX. We did not have to pass in order to graduate. When I took it I was 9 months pregnant exhauted, 3 Cm's dilated and having contractions.... So my focus was a little off.... Still I passed it easily. I agree that if so many in your program are not passing the fault lies with the program and not the students. Our program was very NCLEX centered and we had a very high pass rate on both the HESI and NCLEX. There must be some kind of study guide for this test to help those who are struggling with it.

I think the reason some schools require a pass on this test it to insure a high pass on NCLEX that way they can claim a large percentage of their graduates pass the NCLEX. Nursing programs that are notoriously tough on students consistanly produce nurses who pass the NCLEX. Remember that whatever score you get on the NCLEX 75 or above. You work ethic and ability to apply what you have learned is what will make you a good nurse.

The course I am in has us take the HESI when we apply, at the end of our second semester(a few weeks away for me), and we have to score an 850 on it. If we don't we have the 3rd semester for remediation and to pass it. If we don't we cannot register for the 4th and final semester.

I do know that the course I am in is very focused on NCLEX pass rate, it claims a higher pass rate than UT Austin. The course grades are adjusted upwards to making getting a passing grade more difficult, as they feel that if we work harder to pass, we will study harder and do better on the HESI and NCLEX.

As for banning the test, the school can put any kind of requirements they choose on the program. They are using the HESI because it is standardized and relates well to the NCLEX.