Thread: feeling the pressure

feeling the pressure

I work on a very busy 46 bed ortho/neuro unit. I've been there a year (my first job as an RN) and just had my first annual review. My assistant head nurse said I was doing a great job and wants me orient to the charge role. I feel like I'm too new and have a lot to learn before I can be in charge of the whole unit and told her so. She let it drop for about a month but now is pressuring me again. What should I do?

Re: feeling the pressure

In my opinion, you shouldn't do anything you're not comfortable doing. Many nurses will tell you that it's not such a big deal, and others will argue the opposite. It depends on your facility and your comfort level. However, don't let your confidence level be the only factor in your decision. Most people when offered something like this, have the ability to do the job, but they are scared to take on the responsibility. It's natural to feel this way. I always recommend actually sitting down and weighing your skills, and compare them to the tasks you will be performing. You will then know if you can actually excel in this position. This will help you overcome any issues with confidence. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.