Thread: New member but have to ask....

New member but have to ask....

If anyone else sees the unfairness of my situation or if I'm really being unresaonable.

I have been working of a particular hospital for quite some time now and have worked my entire nursing career there. Fortunately I have been working a shift (exclusively) that offered all the shift diffs..so I made a decent salary.
    Well, my problem now is that my current nurse manager has decided that everyone "in fairness" will work every THIRD weekend! Needless to say, I was a little miffed at this. But I'm being made to feel that I'm being unreasonable.
    Am I really? Am I just crazy or what?! I think it's highly unfair to me. I am a senior employee.
    Would you be upset about it or just "go with the flow"?

Re: New member but have to ask....

I'd be irritated, but not enough to leave a job over (unless it's really a significant pay loss)...

How long have you been there? Are you union? Do you have a work agreement or anything that says you just work certain shifts? I'm a little confused, do you work all the weekends and are losing the diffs? Or are you upset that you now have to work weekends?

Re: New member but have to ask....

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRethinkThis View Post
    If anyone else sees the unfairness of my situation or if I'm really being unresaonable.

I have been working of a particular hospital for quite some time now and have worked my entire nursing career there. Fortunately I have been working a shift (exclusively) that offered all the shift diffs..so I made a decent salary.
    Well, my problem now is that my current nurse manager has decided that everyone "in fairness" will work every THIRD weekend! Needless to say, I was a little miffed at this. But I'm being made to feel that I'm being unreasonable.
    Am I really? Am I just crazy or what?! I think it's highly unfair to me. I am a senior employee.
    Would you be upset about it or just "go with the flow"?
    In my 20 + years of nursing, most places I have worked, whether on my own or agency, have had the rule of every other weekend off. One place had overy THIRD weekend off. Thus, working every third weekend sounds pretty good, IMHO.

Just to be curious, how long have you worked at your current job?

'That Bird'

Cool Re: New member but have to ask....

Versus losing your job and/or not being able to find another, I would suck it up. If you miss the income, then maybe get a job with a home health agency working weekends on a case to fill in those missed weekends. That way you would be killing at least two birds. You would be making up some of the lost income, and you would be establishing yourself with a second employer. Just a thought.