Thread: Hope???

Hope???

WOW, what a relief to find this sight, I wish I would have found it sooner!! I truly believed their could not be anyone out their like me, a nurse and an addict. My story is so very similar to many, my fight is just began. I have complaints against me in MO for diversion, just saying that makes me nauseated. I dont want to get into to much detail, yet until I get some guidance on where to go to save my life and liscense. I am taking baby steps. I detoxed myself, and have not used in 1 month, I was blessed with an amazing family support system. They dont understand that addiction is a disease, but they dont care and me neither really, I dont need them to understand as long as they are their for me. To keep my nursing license what can I do now?? I began Celebrate Recovery last night and plan on attending NA meetings. Anyone with any experience with MOBON??? Thanks to each and everyone who have posted their stories, I might not be here if I had not found this sight, with stories of such dispair that has turned into hope. I cant see that far ahead right now, I can only do the next right thing in the next 1 min. only but for the grace of God. Thanks for reading and thanks for any help. Its amazing I was relieved when I got caught, Im not mad or upset, it saved my life. I am embarrassed, ashamed, and disgusted with my actions, which I should be!!! God bless you all, please help me with my road to recovery.

Re: Hope???

you shouldn't loose your license, it does not work like that. you will be placed on a drug probation license ask to random test and jump through other hoops. the best advice i can give you is to study the boards website and the actions they have taken agains other addicts/alcoholics. The next best advice I can give you is to find a job and quickly. Find one before the board rules, finding a job afterwards is going to be nearly impossible. And congrats on your sobriety. It is going to be a hard row to tow but it will be well worth it. I have been sober for only one week and already I can see a drastic change in my behavior and insight. I found a job in corrections, that may be a place for you to start if you haven't already found a job. Good Luck

Re: Hope???

Thank you so much for responding back, I feel as if this website may be a lifeline for me. Congratulations on 1 week, that is awesome. One step at a time, we cant change the past only focus on the future. Do you mind telling me your story? I completely understand if not, Im just trying to figure out what caused me to to do the things I did. Out of my fog, and can hardly stand myself!!!

Exclamation Re: Hope???

ETOH abuse. I grew up with alcoholics all around me. I only knew it was a disease when I entered nursing shool. I began drinking early in life maybe by the age of 7yrs. Then, I began to play with some drugs but drugs were illeagal so I stuck to beer, wine and liquor. I stopped drinking often and for years at a time prompted by child birth and breast feeding. I started back drinking after learning my husband was having an afair. It escalated from fruity drinks to straight up liquor, going to work drunk if it was evening or just a sip or two if is was a day shift.
    No one ever said to me they smelled alcohol on me so I thought I was hideing my addiction. Well, the employment wright ups kept comming and later I was charged with diversion. I was so out of it I could not document correctly. I did not care. I thought I had a good fight, I was not diverting, I was not tested, I never stole from the facility. Well the board of nursing is savvy as hell.:nurse-stupid: The first question they asked me was, do you have a problem with drugs, well of course not, the second was do you have a problem with drinking? I admited to drinking but later recanted. I was placed on probation a year later, with random drug and ETOH testing. I have yet to have a test. But I am sure it is coming, I lost a $100,000 a year job, and I graduated two weeks later with a masters degree that I can not use. The board of nursing will not grant me an approval to practice with an incumbered nursing license. That is most of my story.

Wow, hello to both of you! "But for the Grace" I was sober for 12 1/2 years following my 2nd DUI . Went to RN School and changed careers. Stopped working a good program, going to meetings etc. Next thing you know I was taking the morphine waste. Have relapsed awhole buch in the last 10 years. I too have not worked through all the shame and disgust with myself. On the right road now with 7 months of HONEST Clean and Sober time. May be too little to late though as the CA BRN has given 2 choices....surrender my license or go to hearing. I keep turning it over to God but don't feel I'm getting a clear answer. I'm hoping to hear from someone who has gone thru the hearing process. Good Luck and God Bless