Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Nursing Shortage -- Your Opinions

Re: The Nursing Shortage -- Your Opinions

I worked at Mercy Regional Medical Center in Laredo Texas when I first graduated Nursing School. It was common for use to have 6-10 patients on a busy med/surg/stepdown unit even seven years ago.

Depending on where you are in Texas, there simply are not enough nurses grown locally to fill the needs. Laredo was a border town bout a mile from the Rio Grande and my nurse manager told me it was notoriously difficult to find staff. Most of the nurses I worked with either grew up in the surrounding area or were contract staff on for a few years and also travelers.

Under those kinds of conditions, with that kind of turnover, it's very difficult to maintain a safe work environment much less quality of patient care.

A lot of nurses that do value their licenses would think twice before staying there. The problem is, "there" is quickly becoming "here" for most of us.

Not a good situation at all.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Is it just about the money? I know a nurse buddy that is leaving due to burnout, you couldn't offer enough money for him to stay. I also see new cna/nurses that come in to the field and had no idea what was expected of them to do. Perhaps some of the shortage is some people just don't have the guts to do what we do?!

The problem with the percieved Nursing shortage is the our society lives as a Monday to friday work week and from 7-9 am to 4-6 pm work day. Most nurses have to live in that world but have to fill in the hours on weekends and nights when most of society is enjoying time off. If all shoe stores were required to be open 24 days a week 365 days a year, including all holidays, there would be a shortage of shoe sales clerks. True some places pay a shift differental for night and weekend work but this is usually from $ .50 to 4.00 that really does not compensate for missed family events and child rearing opportunities.
    With the development of more international trade now bussiness like the stock market are realizing the missed opportunities by shuting down operations when other markets are still functioning. When our society goes to 24 hour society then maybe nurses will be recognized for all their time.
    huegy an RN for 25 years.

I agree with you I have been in nursing for 25 years and am getting tired of all the strange hours. Here in this state they for some reason are replacing nurses with aids.

I agree with all of you. Nurses are way underpaid. I am an RN and have been for two years. For some reason people not in the medical profession think that nurses get paid really good. But when you look at other professions and look at our responsibilities, we do not get paid what we are worth. Why should someone who works with computers get a six figure income, when a nurse is responsible for human lives. I think that in our society today, we put no value on the human life. Thanks for letting me vent.

Member Extraordinaire

I was offered a full time nsg instructor position today (been doing clinicals now offered to do lecture) and the pay for a full time insturctor is $20,000 LESS then I make as staff plus I'd have to be working on MSN at the same time..can't take that kind of pay cut.

The biggest obstacle I had to face in the nursing profession was the lack of child care providers that were willing to work 24/7 and the cost. B/C of that issue I have chosen to stay at home.

Nursing is the hardest job there is. You end up with a bad back and frazzeled nerves. Patients and their families think you are their maid. They get mad if you don't answer their call light within seconds even if you are just participating in a code blue in the room next door. Doctors scribble and laugh about it. Nurses have to guess what they write. The whole thing is a joke. Yet, we do it. Why?

Well Nursing school is very hard and I realize it has to be, but if the requirements were just a little easier. Some good people might make it into Nursing. I think I would really be good and my professor said, that I do have the enthusiasm for it, but I am really having a problem in one of my classes. I might add that I do have ADD, which makes my concentration level hard. And I don't take tests well. I am a hands on learner.

Freshman,

I don't want to make light of your ADD. However, Nursing is a difficult profession to practice. It is high stress and physically demanding. You need to be organized, efficient and emotionally available at the same time. \

It is not the place for someone with difficulties such as yours if, your disability will prevent you from giving adequate care.

The classes you are taking are designed to test if you have the ability to provide that care. Not everyone makes the cut, I hope you don't take it personally if you don't make it.

Lowering standards is not the answer if it will result in a decreased quality of care being given. I'd rather keep standards high and have patients get excellent care.

That's my two cents.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast