Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Male nursing students/nurses

Re: Male nursing students/nurses

glad to have you Tom, thanks for sharing!

Hey krebscycle, Join the party...female nurses have traditionally had a poor image portrayed on TV programs also...it has gotten better but, and I didn't say I liked it...but it's a fact.
    I don't wear heels and revealing clothes. I don't make time with all the docs. I'm not there looking for r ahusband...all things that they protrayed nurses to be.
    We're glad you're here. We can only be the best we can be and keep on going.

anyone interesed in anesthesia

None for me thanks, I'm driving.

You're always going to have some kind of predjudices--at work, home, play, etc.

I've been there and took home the t-shirt (or scrub top) during my last 8 years in nursing. [censored], if I would have let it bother me, I wouldn't have made it through the first semester of RN school.

I will agree with the original post that nursing and nursing education does have a DEFINATE female overtone.

BTW....did y'all notice the nursing recruitmetn posters that J&J put out last year? They had good representation for males!!

Shawn Elander, RN

Hello,
    I am a first year male nursing student in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I either get asked if I am gay or a pervert... I guess it is funny the first 100 times you hear it, but it gets tiring really quickly. I also do not like how male nurses are portrayed in the media (Jack in Will and Grace, and Gaylord Fokker in Meet the Parents). Regardless of whether or not you are Gay, Straight, Male or Female, I think we all are capable of providing health care. I look forward to contributing to this forum in the future. Until then, thanks for setting up a place I can post my opinions...

Anonymous

If another guy ask if you are gay cuz you are studying nursing ask him if he is interested in you... Oh sorry that was in very poor taste..

WR,,, three commas for Becca

The name's changed but I will always be WindingRoad

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.

Here in the great state of Arkansas, where there is at least 2 pickup trucks in every yard with a washing machine on every porch, I only get that attitude from a few people. one nursing instructor had it out for men, but her statement in a class that, "Men should never enter nursing because they could not make good nurses", got her a different job. Hek we have big old rednecks that are nurses. I think some smart a....
    would be intimidated to ask the "gay" question.

It is just a few stupid, uneducated, low self esteem, sexually insecure, self absorbed jerks ask the "gay" question. The question should be, "Are you a good nurse?"

As I go through different nursing programs LPN, RN, BSN(grad student now) I've always felt females held an advantage over males in just about every situation. I don't know if that will ever change but I don't see it changing anytime soon. It just goes with the field I have chosen.

Krebs,

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a minority. Good news for you though, as soon as you walk out of class you are no longer a minority. I do not have that luxury. I'm most often the only Black person in my classes. I'm used to being the only Black person in alot of situations but for some reason this has been different. Nursing is now focused on understanding your culturally diverse patients. Which I think is great but learning about it in class is not so great. For instance, in my development class, the subject was on child rearing. The book said something to the effect that generally Black people raise their children with an iron fist. It was stated in a totally negative way. As if we were wrong. I on the other hand feel that many other races are too lax in the way they raise their children. During the class discussion, everyone talked how they were raised. I said my piece and my instructor rolled her eyes and made no comment. She went on the next student, like I had said absolutely nothing. So in class I've felt really alone.

At work, I was the only Black person until recently. It was awhile before I really realized it because I feel like such a part of the group. In class, however it is so different. I can't put my finger on it. I have never felt like this. I feel like me and the other stuents are from different sides of the world. I guess I'm saying I know how you feel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast