Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Male nursing students/nurses

Re: Male nursing students/nurses

I suppose it all depends on where you go to school. I was fortunate to attend an excellent BSN program in which my class was comprised of 6 guys out of 23 students. Our instructors, for the most part, were pro-feminist, pro-men in nursing. (There was one who tended to make some people miserable - but she didn't discriminate).

We're going to come up against the "you're a male nurse" question. It's inevitable. I simply respond "As opposed to a female nurse?" which then usually starts a conversation about stereotypes and/or career choices.

As far as the necessity for describing one's "feelings" - nursing is about caring for the patient holistically. It may be difficult for many men to talk about their feelings, but, there are certainly times when even stoic, emotion-suppressing men will be moved to tears in this profession. I work in pediatric critical care.... and we've all cried once or twice - men, women, nurses and doctors.

Stick it out! It's a great profession. It pays well, and I only work 3 days a week! (And join your professional organization! Nursing is only as good as we make it!)

I just saw an ad in the Dallas Morning News that had a picture of a little girl playing with a doll, and the caption read, "Have you always known you were a nurse?" That made me laugh out loud....

I am going to begin nursing classes this August. I've been working at a large hospital here since January this year. I get some attitude from a few people, but not often. When I do, it can be pretty tough. The first assumption is always if you are male and going into nursing, you must be gay. Of course, there are all sorts of questions about going on to medical school and so fourth. I think we have to overlook people's preconceptions and do the very best work possible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123