I suppose it all depends on where you go to school. I was fortunate to attend an excellent BSN program in which my class was comprised of 6 guys out of 23 students. Our instructors, for the most part, were pro-feminist, pro-men in nursing. (There was one who tended to make some people miserable - but she didn't discriminate).

We're going to come up against the "you're a male nurse" question. It's inevitable. I simply respond "As opposed to a female nurse?" which then usually starts a conversation about stereotypes and/or career choices.

As far as the necessity for describing one's "feelings" - nursing is about caring for the patient holistically. It may be difficult for many men to talk about their feelings, but, there are certainly times when even stoic, emotion-suppressing men will be moved to tears in this profession. I work in pediatric critical care.... and we've all cried once or twice - men, women, nurses and doctors.

Stick it out! It's a great profession. It pays well, and I only work 3 days a week! (And join your professional organization! Nursing is only as good as we make it!)