Thread: Tips on managing time as a new nurse

Tips on managing time as a new nurse

Hi l am a new nurse in the ICU. I just got out of orientation in February, so I have been working on my own for about 3 and half months. I need some tips on managing my time. I feel like a turtle when I'm working. I know it takes time but there are times and my work load isn't very heavy yet I still get out 30 mins late. Sigh please help
    JC.

Re: Tips on managing time as a new nurse

You could ask your Clinical ICU educator for time management skills ideas to be more effecient. But any new nurse needs time to learn and become familiar which can take a full year. Don't be so hard on yourself.
    Are you documenting in real time or saving it until the end of the shift?

Kdog gave you great advice.

I would like to add, the experience nurse can not get out on time sometimes. I don't like the term "time management" in nursing. It so relative because something can and will throw "time management" out the door. Have you gone back over some of your shifts to figure it out? Do you get all your supplies before entering room? and other questions can be posed to help you; but beleive me, it will get better and it will, at time, be those days where you cannot get "out on time."

All the best to you in your career.
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

Document in real time. DO NOT save documentation for the end of a shift or event. Are you on paper or in the computer? Do you set you monitoring machines to automatically record vitals? Lump your treatments together. when waiting the 1/2 hour between some of those push meds pop in on your next patient to do a quick assessment. it is all aobut experience and getting to know the surroundings and resources. IE memorize resp therapy's phone number, set up an order to look at labs in order of priority. These are just a couple of tips I have found over the years.
    Jen

Ricu
    The only thing I can add to what has already been said is to emphasize the fact that being new at something means that it will take longer to do it and eventually, we all find our own best way of accomplishing things. A good preceptor will support this autonomy while keeping everything "safe." I'm sure by now, Jchris is probably a pro.

Hope y'all are enjoying summer so far

R