Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Ultimate' book reader's thread

Red face

I have my same med surg book from nursing school circa 1992. I had to get a new peds book because who knows what happened to the original one in all my moves since I was in school. I love to go browse in the nursing section at bookstores but a lot of the enthusiasm has worn off in recent years. I bought two books on differential diagnoses. Now those I find interesting! They fuel the hidden Dr. House in me! Not much for fiction lately. Have run out of Stephen King novels. Other books that are similar don't seem to hit the mark with me. I finish the book thinking that I wasted money on another paperback.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I had a bit of an argument over the Harry Potter b0oks. My 8 year old loves them and has read them all. But when he brought one to school (Small private Christian) he was told he could not have it on campus. I went to the principal and said "Wait a minute, my kid is excited about reading a 300+ page book and you have a problem with that." The principal commented that the book was not in keeping with the Christian way of life. I then pointed out that the books were purchased at the school book fair so if it was ok for the school to make money off it, it should be ok for the kid to read it!

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    I had a bit of an argument over the Harry Potter b0oks. My 8 year old loves them and has read them all. But when he brought one to school (Small private Christian) he was told he could not have it on campus. I went to the principal and said "Wait a minute, my kid is excited about reading a 300+ page book and you have a problem with that." The principal commented that the book was not in keeping with the Christian way of life. I then pointed out that the books were purchased at the school book fair so if it was ok for the school to make money off it, it should be ok for the kid to read it!

Peace and Namaste

Hppy
    The schools should be happy the kids are reading. Heck, if you think about it, ANY book is going to pee the be-jeebers outta someone over something. The age of reason is 7 years old, and kids should know fact from fiction, truth from make-believe by then, riiiiight? And if you really want to goe technical, how much of the Bible has been lost in translation? I went to a parochial school myself, did a Comparative Religions course, etc., and know the arguments.

Just to add more good mysteries here: Diane Mott Davidson (sp?). The stories revolve around Goldie's catering business, and there are some decent recipes in these books! I haven't tried any yet, but the books have one or two drool marks on them.

Currently working on 61 Hours by Lee Child. Another in the Jack Reacher series. I swear I chewing up two novels a month with my insomnia. I have to buy them because I've read everything in the local library.
    Do any of you have a Kindle? Someone suggested I get one - but so much of my reading experience comes from the feel of the book in my hands. I don't know if I could get used to something so technical.

Hppy

Hey, I just got back from B&N; I can't get used to the idea of Kindle or Nook. I, too, like the feel of a good book.

I am happy for a while. In another week or two, they'll be cranking the spooky music.

Lord of The Ring satanic?! WTF?! I did my Senior paper on that series, and desPITE what some people may claim, Tolkien alludes to alotta Catholisism there. The lembas could be akin to communion, if you think about it. Mordor could equal Hell, and the twisted dominions..... Wasn't Suaron (sp) the head of the wizards, but had fallen from grace, so to speak? Pretty heady stuff to wrap your mind around.

I have the same issue with the Narnia series - Lots of Christian symbolism there but many fundamentalists sects insist on seeing something evil there. I read the whole series as an adult before I let my son read them - I found them very empowering...... I think some people are just to uptight about these things.......

Hppy

BTW, Tolkein and CS Lewis were friends; I remember that clearly.

OK, who has read Echo Heron's books? You know, Condition Critical? Yeah, THOSE books. I just remembered them.

BOy, does she tell it like it is.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast