Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Ultimate' book reader's thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

The 'Ultimate' book reader's thread

OK---I know we have some readers on the site. What books are you reading now, or have read in the past? Let's hear about them.

What did you like about the story? What did you NOT like? Would you recommend the book to others?

Was it made into a movie, or do you think it would make a great movie?

To start off the thread, for all you readers who have been following Jean Auel's Earth's Children series, the 6th (and from what I understand, LAST!) book will be released in March of 2011. There was talk of 7 books in the series, but it doesn't look like it now. But then, who knows. Anyone read the series?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: The 'Ultimate' book reader's thread

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    OK---I know we have some readers on the site. What books are you reading now, or have read in the past? Let's hear about them.

What did you like about the story? What did you NOT like? Would you recommend the book to others?

Was it made into a movie, or do you think it would make a great movie?

To start off the thread, for all you readers who have been following Jean Auel's Earth's Children series, the 6th (and from what I understand, LAST!) book will be released in March of 2011. There was talk of 7 books in the series, but it doesn't look like it now. But then, who knows. Anyone read the series?
    I love the books by John Sanford that feature Lucas Davenport - also known as the "Prey" book. It's best to read them in order so you can follow the character development. I am currently working my way through Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. I love a good murder mystery - also good true crime. Historical fiction is fun too - I have degree's and history and Lit as well as nursing.

Anyone here read books more than once? On average I read a book up to three times and some books are just old friends! My husband thinks this is weird but he only reads technical manuals..... go figure.

Hppy

Re: The 'Ultimate' book reader's thread

I tend to read some books over and over and over...... Yes, even when I can remember quite a bit of the story and quote the dang thing.

Lord Of The Rings trilogy....have loved that since 6th grade.

I like Carlos Luis Zofon's 'Shadow of the Wind'. It's pretty decent, and has a plot like one of those Russian stacking dolls. It's a Gothic murder/mystery type story set from the '30's to the mid '60's in Spain.

I am not sure if a movie can do this story justice, with all the twists and turns.

As for Jean Auel's book, I will wait for it to come out in paperback. I had heard the same story (7 books, now 6). I also read where she stated LAST YEAR that there will be 7 books. Maybe something is going on with her? Plus, look how long it took her to get the last book or two out! Much speculation on what this book is going to encompass.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Just Finished "Without Fail" by Lee Child - another Jack Reacher story - This character is the epitome of Oscar Wilde's quote "Good men sleep peacefully in their beds at night knowing rough men stand ready to do violence on those who would do them harm"

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

I love to read. What I have bought in the last several weeks have been geared toward advancing my knowledge in management. It must peak an interest for me to read and then I go "crazy" on that particular topic and then move on.

I check out books from the library first [if they have them] then I buy them I love to reference things.
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

I have updated my Med Surg book ONCE! I can't see spending over $100 to get a new one every 2 years. Maybe every 5?

Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynly(sp?) series is good. I actually started reading the series in the middle, so to speak, with Deception on His Mind.

She (George) is an American, writing about England, and the differences between Lynly and Barb Havers is something else. He is a titled Lord, she is 'working class'. Of course, in England, there is that 'distinction' between classes.

The whole series is dang good. Just finished This Body of Death, and the curves that have been thrown throughout the series! It seemed to me that Barb would eventually (somehow?!) end up with Azhar, but.....not sure now.

I have read Elizabeth George, too. She is pretty good.

I just found out that Louise Cooper died; she wrote alot of Fiction that is no longer available here in the States. Guess she died last year from an aneurism. What a shock.

Red face

I have my same med surg book from nursing school circa 1992. I had to get a new peds book because who knows what happened to the original one in all my moves since I was in school. I love to go browse in the nursing section at bookstores but a lot of the enthusiasm has worn off in recent years. I bought two books on differential diagnoses. Now those I find interesting! They fuel the hidden Dr. House in me! Not much for fiction lately. Have run out of Stephen King novels. Other books that are similar don't seem to hit the mark with me. I finish the book thinking that I wasted money on another paperback.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast