Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNA vs. EMT

CNA vs. EMT

Hello everyone!

I have a question in regards to being a CNA vs. EMT. I'm working on getting accepted into a MN program with the goal of working as an RN in acute/trauma types of environments.

I have been a chiropractor for almost twelve years in private practice. My question is...which certification would be more beneficial for me...CNA or EMT?

Chris

Re: CNA vs. EMT

EMT, but if you're a chiropractor why go for RN if you don't mind me asking. (I don't know the difference in school etc, but aren't you a doctor?)

CNA's bascially help with activities of daily living. So you'd be trained in transfers, feeding, dressing, and vitals.

EMT- you'd be trained in handling the basics of trauma and emergency situations. I'd think that experience would make it easier to land an ER position, where CNA might make it easier to work med/surg or NH.

AprilRN,

Thanks for the advice...I'm leaning towards the EMT route.

Yes...I am a Doctor of Chiropractic...the title does not mean much to me though. As an RN I would be able to focus more on patient care in an acute setting and less on administrative duties. As a business owner I spend too much time and energy running the business which takes away from serving people to the best of my ability.

There are more reasons, but I want to keep this post short. Hope this answers your "why" question.

Chris

I've looked into doing EMT as well, though with my work schedule and kids the classes just aren't an option for me right now.

Ricu

CNA work is very hands-on. You will do custodial care like bathing, toileting, dressing and even feeding some of your patients. In acute care, the CNA will also do vital signs and blood sugar testing. This is enormously gratifying work but not as technical as some may like. If you're looking for a more intense, technical experience, EMT certification would be more suitable because it is more action oriented and involves more decision making especially if you're in the pre hospital area of care. Consider EMT-Intermediate or EMT-Paramedic level certification if you're interested in starting IVs and administering medication. Let us know what you decide.

Good luck.

R

Thanks for the advice Ricu.
    The Master of Nursing programs that I'm considering do not require you to have been a CNA. My long term goal is to work as an RN in trauma/ER. I think the EMT certification would serve me better in my situation.
    Having been in private practice as a chiropractor for the past twelve years...I have ample experience with patient contact...the CNA would probably be redundant.
    As a result of my research and people's advice, I have registered for an EMT class for the fall.

DCL,

Of course you realize an EMT, no matter what level, is trained for the "prehospital" environment. The ED, aka ER, standard of care is somewhat similar yet different than EMS... stabilize, then load & go.

IMHO, unless you want to be an Air Evac RN, the EMT certification is not necessary. The common problem RN students have is the first time patient contact. However, with your years of experience as a Chiropractor patient contact will certainly not be an issue.

... 2 cents worth

Thanks for the advice SoldierNurse,

I guess my goal is to gain more experience working with patients in a different environment than my office. Also, it would be added experience to place on my resume and application to school.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL View Post
    Thanks for the advice SoldierNurse,

I guess my goal is to gain more experience working with patients in a different environment than my office. Also, it would be added experience to place on my resume and application to school.
    Still think your 12 yrs experience as a Chiropractor is definitely sufficient for nursing school application. BTW, while in a nursing program you will have opportunities to do clinicals in variety of patient care settings.

Although not absolutely necessary, the certification as an EMT would help show a commitment to the ER specialty. If you obtained part time employment as an EMT, that would be even better, although not likely with an RN school schedule. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast