Thread: ack! Want to start traveling, but unsure of the process.

ack! Want to start traveling, but unsure of the process.

New to traveling, and don't know where to start. I love my job, but am unhappy with hospital politics. From a small mid-western town without a lot of opportunities. Also not happy with mid-western living and the harsh winters. Just looking for something new, exciting, and different.

Graduated with ADN June 2008, worked on Telemetry Unit from 6/08-4/10, and Emergency Room from 4/10-current, and also have a PRN position at a long term care facility.

Is this enough to start traveling? Should I apply for Tele positions or ER?

I will be traveling with my teenage son (who is homeschooled) and a small dog. Can I take advantage of housing for travelers (will require a 2 bedroom)?

I have been trying to do research online and am not having the greatest success. It seems that a lot of the traveling agencies require completion of a lengthy application before listing available opportunities. Also, I am not sure how my current employer will feel about being contacted by multiple agencies.

Any constructive advice is appreciated.

Well, you have enough tele experience but not ER. Anyway, you can check travel jobs without filling out an app. For ex. Check Cross Country trav corp, RN Network and Medical Solutions, Clinical One's job board are open to anyone. This will give you an idea what's available. Then you can call a recruiter and talk. Only fill the app if you feel it's time. travel nurse gets a 1 bedroom and you will have to pay for the upgrade to 2nd bedroom. Sometimes you get lucky and get a 2 bed as 1 beds not available.
    Also, don't worry about your manager getting calls, that's their job. Take your time in this process and post all of your questions with us. Oh, also, you will have to have the state license in hand before applying. Cali + NY takes a while to get