Thread: HS seeks approval for CNA exam

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

HS seeks approval for CNA exam

This would be good: http://www2.jcfloridan.com/news/2010...ams-ar-438533/

Marianna High School may eventually establish a comprehensive certified nursing assistant training program, which will include on-site testing for the CNA exam.

If established, students graduating from the program with a passing score on the CNA exam would leave high school prepared to work as a CNA.
    The Jackson County School Board approved Marianna High’s request to submit an application to the state board of nursing, for review of Marianna High as a program site at last week’s board meeting.

Currently, Marianna High’s Health Science Academy offers a three-year program for students interested in a career in health care.

However, according to the academy instructor Kelly McDaniel, while the school currently offers the education portion of the program, students still have to travel to take the exam which certifies them as a CNA.

McDaniel said an even larger problem is that without a Florida Board of Nursing-recognized CNA training program in place at Marianna High, students are required to wait until the age of 18 to take the test.

“So many of my students who go through the three-year Health Science Academy and prepare for the CNA exam with me graduate at 17, and have to wait to take the exam,” McDaniel said.

“The burden falls on the student to keep the information fresh in their minds over long periods of time, with little to no instruction after graduation. Then they are required to travel to Destin, an unfamiliar setting, to take the exam,” she said.

With the school board’s approval, McDaniel said she plans to now submit an application to the state.

If the Florida Board of Nursing approves McDaniel’s request, not only will the program be state recognized, it will allow for students graduating from the program — to include those under 18 — to take the exam on site.

Last year, the program had 113 students enrolled, with 36 in their third year.

“Third year students are very serious about the program; they are no longer high school students,” McDaniel said. “They are through-and-through professionals.”

McDaniel said third year student training is much more hands-on. Students are required to complete a set number of clinical hours at both Jackson Hospital and Signature Healthcare-Courtyard.

But even with all the experience and knowledge provided by McDaniel, only a handful of students currently qualify to take the exam. Last year, three students graduated from the program as CNAs.

McDaniel said she’s confident the number of students graduating as CNAs will increase with the new state-recognized program in place.
    “I truly love this program and these kids, and I want to see them all succeed,” McDaniel said.

McDaniel explained jokingly that all she is lacking for state approval is a sink in her classroom.

“Other than that, I think I’ve got it covered,” she said. “I don’t see any issues with getting state approval. I think it will just be a matter of time.”

School board members seemed pleased with the progress of the program, and wished McDaniel the best in her endeavor.

Kelly McDaniel has worked very hard to implement a CNA program here at Marianna High,” Principal Mary Sue Neves said. “I am very pleased with the number of students who have gone through her program and passed the exam. I think it speaks very highly of Ms. McDaniel and her program.“

Smile

I took my first CNA course at the adult school at night while I was still in high school. I think this is a great idea. I have also heard of high schools that offer LPN programs and think either one or preferably both, are great additions to any high school. I was seeking work at 15 and having a CNA course during the day in my high school would have been beneficial to me. More high schools should follow this path in providing something useful for their students.

Maybe they can find caring students, too? The local HS has a Health Sciences class, and from what I have heard from the retired head of the class, there are some students who are just beyond 'something else'.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Remember when high schools had classes like metal shop and auto shop - so kids could learn a trade in case they didn't want or couldn't afford college. Here in California schools have cut all that plus most don't have real music or PE programs anymore. If the schools can come up with money to sustain this program I think it's a great idea.

Peace and Namaste

Hppygr8ful

Quote Originally Posted by cali510 View Post
    I took my first CNA course at the adult school at night while I was still in high school. I think this is a great idea. I have also heard of high schools that offer LPN programs and think either one or preferably both, are great additions to any high school. I was seeking work at 15 and having a CNA course during the day in my high school would have been beneficial to me. More high schools should follow this path in providing something useful for their students.
    The LPN program I went to was held on the campus of one of our community HS's. Unforetunately, the program up and went' to the local Jr. College, losing its spark, too.

Our local HS does weed out the 'undesirables', trust me. But, then they can go elsewhere after school....

BTW, welcome to the site!

Better than the CNA mills

Better than the CNA mills
    I think as long as they are Properly trained then have at it, I know in Florida (with the economy in such great shape and all) we have a huge number of CNA mills that have a state examiner in pocket to assure that those who pay their $500 and show up for the 2 day class will get a license. my place of employment hired one of these "graduates" and the new CNA showed up to work day 1 not having a clue what "scrubs" were and couldn't figure out how to put a hospital gown on a pt. This person could very well be preforming care on your family member, Scary huh. so If the HS program really prepares a 17 year old for the field.. (as best you can be prepared for day 1) I feel I'd prefer my family member in their hands.

Thanks Bryan/Dfektiv......

lol, sorry just didn't want my full name out there and when I used to facebook log-on it linked to the Dfektiv account... not this time lol. but thanks for the re-welcome