Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Americans treated, and over treated, to death

That is why I literally have DNR tattooed on my chest

Ricu
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeituptom View Post
    That is why I literally have DNR tattooed on my chest
    Well Tom, it is my hope that your wishes will be honored when that time comes. Do you have the rest of the paperwork completed and are all your loved ones in aggreement with your wishes? Have the difficult conversations now while you have a voice. Later you won't have a say and everything will be subject to interpretation further complicated by "doctorspeak." There is a guy with a similar phrase tattooed on his chest but he's a frequent flyer in my ICU. Frequent flyer. Any more need be said?

R

One I am not a frequent flier just a frequent worker in the ED. Yes the paperwork is done and my wife is smart enough to not listen to the doctorspeak

I once considered having DNR tattooed on my chest but reconsidered when I read somewhere that it would not be honored done that way. I have my paperwork in order, but I suppose that wouldn't necessarily be honored either if the right person weren't around at the time.

Ricu
    I just had a lady, well known to us as a regular dialysis and CHF patient come into the ED via EMS having had a devastating stroke. She had very clear advanced directives. Her DPOA began CPR, not what she wanted, in the field. EMS continued and upon arrival, was promptly intubated and placed on the ventilator, also not what she wanted. Next day the gastric tube placed after intubation to decompress was used for tube feeding, not what she wanted and she persisted longer. Dialysis was stopped, which ironically, was the only life sustaining measure that she had agreed to. On the third day, after gentle persistence from the ICU staff, a Palliative care conference was held and the very grim prognosis was again explained with the recommendation that all lifesaving measures be withdrawn and comfort care be provided. After another twenty-four hours, the family then consented.

The issue? This patient had "beaten the odds" so many times in the past, the family really had to be certain that she wouldn't pull out of this last crisis. They really struggled with whether or not the condition was irreversable AND they hoped for a miracle. Was this all a wrong thing to do? I'm really not sure. I've seen enough miracles.

R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12