Thought this would be of interest! http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...066474/1/.html

The Singapore General Hospital (SGH) has received global recognition for its nursing practices and patient care.

It is the first hospital in Asia to be accredited under the "Magnet Recognition Programme".

With this accreditation, SGH now stands alongside the top five per cent of hospitals in the world which also have been recognised.

It is a morale booster for the 3,300 nurses at SGH. They now don gold pin badges on their uniforms - a sign that the hospital has attained 'Magnet' status.

SGH's director of nursing, Associate Professor Lim Swee Hia, said: "Getting this 'Magnet' recognition for Singapore General Hospital is like getting an Olympic Gold Medal for all the staff in the hospital.

"And I can say is that getting 'Magnet' recognition is not just for the nurses (in SGH), but I think it's across for all the nurses in Singapore."

In the past three years, the nursing department has emphasised greater communication. Junior nurses are encouraged to manage committees and voice their concerns in weekly meetings.

The change in work processes seems to reflect the low attrition rate of five per cent. And the hospital believes a healthy working environment translates to quality patient care.

Advanced practice nurse Lim Su Fee, who has worked in SGH for 20 years, said: "Even upon discharge, our relationship with her (the patient) doesn't end, when the patients get discharged. It's actually a long-term relationship.

"So I still provide contact with them, and occasionally they still call me for advice over the phone."

Singapore is the latest among five countries to have their hospitals or medical centres receive the 'Magnet' accreditation. The other countries are the United States, Lebanon, New Zealand, and Australia.

The American-based programme selects applicants according to their ability to attract and retain professional nurses. It also looks at patient outcomes and patient satisfaction.