Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dealing with confrontation in nursing

Re: Dealing with confrontation in nursing

I am convinced the best way to deal with hostilities is to ignore direct insults and refuse to react. Like the Christian verse, " Overcome evil with good." It may hurt to meet criticism or anger with offers to help the offender, but eventually the other person will feel so guilty they will be won over. If you play into anger, or refusals to help by by returning the anger and by being unwulling yourself to help others you make te prblem worse.
    My experience in nursing has been great. I've not run into angry nurse or a hostile work environment.

Assault is a crime and it should be reported to the police. Nurses need to use ANA and their state nurses association for bargaining power. Also, report to your local representatives. Violence described here will result in a death if left unchecked. No person has a right to assault another. It is always a crime and should be reported as such. If it's a patient they might not be accountible depending on their diagnoses. Still the employer does have a responsibility to keep the work place safe. If its unsafe for one nurse, its unsafe for all. I'd be contacting an attorney and asking him/her to send hospital administration a letter reminding them they can be held accountible for an unsafe work environment.

I have read many of your e-mails and wonder why some nurses still have the idea to "eat their young"? We are undergoing a nursing shortage, so shouldn't you want to take new nurses under your wing and help retain them?
    As for confrontations, I have always thought to smother people with kindness and eventually they will come around. If it gets to the point where it is affecting your work and your patients care, then by all means go to your manager (a neutral party always helps). I think no matter where you work there will always be people that do not mesh well together, but you still need to find a way to foster a professional working relationship. Nursing and teamwork go hand in hand. We need to leave our differences at the door and come together for the good of the patient(s).

Hope that helps!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234