Thread: Michigan schools carve pathe for BSN to PHD students

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Michigan schools carve pathe for BSN to PHD students

In case you are interested....http://news.nurse.com/article/20100507/MW02/305070007

The College of Nursing at Michigan State University and the Department of Nursing at Hope College have entered into a partnership to advance the education of baccalaureate graduates who are interested in pursuing a research career and entering doctoral study.

The specific aim of the partnership is to demonstrate an innovative model whereby faculty from both institutions encourage cohorts of eligible Hope College nursing students and alumni to consider applying to MSU’s accelerated BSN-to-PhD program. Each academic year, MSU will designate two seats in the fast-track program for qualified applicants from Hope.

“The partnership is a unique opportunity for collaboration between a private and public research intensive institution,” MSU Nursing Dean Mary Mundt said. “It will serve as a model for the development of similar future partnerships targeted at meeting the needs of the national nursing faculty shortage.”

Students who are accepted into the program will take one year of master’s level coursework before beginning their doctoral studies and continue to receive mentoring from Hope and MSU faculty throughout the program. The goal is to develop a larger pool of highly qualified nurse researchers and scholars.

“The future of nursing education will depend on producing more doctorally qualified nursing faculty,” said Dr. James Boelkins, provost at Hope.

Unhappy

Another way of approaching the creation of a degree mill as far as I'm concerned. Theoretically a brand new nurse with a PhD who has never practiced nursing for even one day?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    I seem to remember that my college instructors worked 'the floor', as well as taught and attend school for their PHD's....