Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nurses and moving patients survey

Nurses and moving patients

Dear medical professionals at Ultimatenurse.com,

I am an industrial design student who is researching about nurses and moving patients. I have been reading through forums searching for people’s comments on their experiences with moving and lifting patients. After learning about the hardships you encounter on a daily basis, I have developed an even deeper respect for your profession. I want to redesign the way lifts are used to make it safer and easier for both the nurses and the patients. I would really appreciate it if some of you could fill out a survey to help me find a direction to redesign them. Also any comments about your previous experiences with lifts or your thoughts about them would be greatly appreciated in this forum post.

I apologize if the questionnaire is a little compact, since survey monkey only allows 10 questions.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XR632VW

Please feel free to forward this to anyone you think would be able to help.

Thank you,
    Brian
    Last edited by BrianUIUC; 07-13-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    I am going to make this a sticky, ok? Hope others fill this out!

Thank you cougarnurse I appreciate it!

I am trying to get a head start on my senior thesis so I have enough time to do it well and not rushed. Thank you for everyone who are taking it.

If people don't want to take the survey, they are welcomed to just talk about their experiences. I'm thinking of maybe volunteering for a year. Also how hard would it be to volunteer for a hospital or nursing home. What would be the differences?

Thanks again!

Ricu
    The survey was quick and painlesss, I will hope for a lot of feedback for Brian. Now for the down and dirty, there is a whole lot of patient movement that takes place without equipment
    Last edited by Ricu; 07-15-2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: typos

Hi Ricu! what do you mean eq? equipment?

Ricu
    Hi Brian,

Yeah, I meant equipment. Sorry for the guesswork. I usually re-read and edit my post before sending but obviously didn't this time.

How's the survey going?

R

Its moving along. I have 19 people right now, who have taken it. A lot of people who are in the hospitals have filled it out. I am getting a good list of aids and tools are using. It sounds like from people's comments, that most of the moving is done manually. People have been saying it is faster, so it makes me wonder what situations would people use and want to use the lifts or aids?

Ricu
    I think that very large people require lifting and turning aids, many of which are built right into most bariatric air beds like "turn assist" and "max inflate" It really helps if the patient is able to participate by using a trapeze. I've used a tool called a chairlift, I think, before which is useful for transferring a patient to and from chair to bed. This was a long time ago and again, the patient had to be able to participate.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    We use Hoyer lifts in some of our homes but they are a pain in the rear especially with a total care quad in a tight bathroom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast