Thread: Help!

Help!

I just graduated from an RN program in Michigan, and have been waiting to receive my ATT to take my NCLEX. I was told that I had to be evaluated by the HPRP before I could receive my ATT. I have had some legal trouble in the past including 2 MIPs (when I was 19 and 20) and a DUI (when I was 21). I am now 24 yrs old and have turned my life around since my young and crazy days. But last year I was drugged at an airport and was arrested for disorderly conduct when I pushed an officer away from me. The HPRP had me do an evaluation through a substance abuse counselor. He did not feel that I needed monitoring and did not recommend it to HPRP. I was told that the HPRP usually goes by the evaluators recommendations, but they decided to overturn his recommendations and put me on a 2 year monitoring agreement. I am incredibly outraged because I have done nothing wrong as a nurse. I understand that I have a criminal history, but how does that mean that I should be labeled an impaired nurse, and have to have everyone at my work find out about this? (I work as a Nurse Intern at a hospital, awaiting to apply for an RN position) I feel like they are ruining my career before it has even started. How is this happening? How is this right? Has anyone else ever been in a situation like this where they have done nothing wrong as a nurse but are being punished before they even have a chance?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I had to think on your post a bit before responding as some of the things you say don't make complete sense and other things do. I am going to answer your question of should you be be punished for something that happened before you became a nurse. The answer on it's surface is no. If however you look below the surface the answer may be yes because you are no being punished in the eyes of the board. You are simply being made to demostrate that you have the judment and ethics to be a safe nurse in practice. History of even minor criminal activity, drug and alcohol related offenses does demonstrate a lack of sound judgement. If however these offenses happened long ago and you have since turned your life around you should not be made to jump through all these hoops. The queston I have is do you have any proof of your recovery/new life. Character references, an AA/NA sponsor, proof of having gone through some kind of counseling/rehab may go a long way to help your case.

It is unfortunate that you are in Michigan as they are one of the hardest states where these matters are concerned. I would suggest you sit down with a lawyer experienced with licensensing issues and find out what your options are. It is extremely important that you get a lawyer who has knowledge of how the Board works - don't just pick one off the internet or yellow pages. You will most likely have to pay some kind of retainer but if it keeps you out of a monitoring program you don't need then it may well be worth it.

What doesn't make sense about your story is when you say You were "drugged" at an airport. Who drugged you, how did this happen. It is highly inlikely that someone would drug a random stranger in an airport. Did you actually take something that contributed to you erratic behavior? Remember the first principal of recovery is honesty. You don't have to admit this to the board but you do have to admit to yourself if you still have a problem - so that you can move forward in your recovery.

I hope this helps you. If you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

In total agreement with previous post. You need to have an attorney assist you so that the process does not overwhelm you. Since you are already invested in your career, you want to insure that you have done everything possible to get your situation going in your favor. You can find an attorney experienced with representing the interests of nurses by looking in the referral link at The Association of Nurse Attorneys website: www.taana.org Good luck.
    Last edited by cali510; 07-31-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    A bit off topic.....

Cali, could you possibly write a sticky post with some of your helpful links? Hppy, you are also included!

Thanks!

'Cat'