Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Demand For More Male Nurses

Big Demand For More Male Nurses

I know that some people wrongly assume that male nurses are gay. The truth is many male nurses are heterosexual. There is a big demand for more male nurses. There are many modest male patients who don't want any female nurses to see them naked at all and want only male nurses to do intimate procedures on them such as urinary catheterization, assist with urological surgeries such as vasectomy, hernia surgery, and prostatectomy, etc.

I think that male nursing students who have graduated from college should go and interview for nursing jobs at hospitals and bring up the issue that many male patients feel there are not enough male nurses and discuss how many male patients are indeed modest and don't want female nurses to do certain procedures on them under any circumstances. Sadly, some men have backed out of having certain surgeries because they could not be assured an all male team.

You should check out some male modesty violation cases that involved female nurses. Sadly, some female nurses mock men when they ask for male nurses.

Hi Modest,

I think you're onto something, there. I have found that many male patients are more relaxed with male nurses. In the past few years, I've been told that men who have have only recent experience being cared for by a male nurse that they prefer them.

It is a man thing because most men know the mindset of men and when where in pain and we need strenght we dont call on woman, I believe its a logic thing or should I say a 21rst century perspective of male nurses, when a patient need to be flipped, your scared if a tiny woman does it, when I was looking through the npte guide I notice chapter 8 said that their is a slight but dramatic difference when there is a room full of male nurse and a room full of female nurses.

Interesting points. Not sure what to make of the idea of room full of female nurses vs. male nurses. I've seen enough chaos in both settings; clear thinking can happen with either sex.

Not sure what to make of the idea of room full of female nurses vs. male nurses. I've seen enough chaos in both settings;

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Ok My two cents is that there are good points from all poster's. However I have seen a woman who wanted/needed an all female team for cultural/religious reasons who was mocked in the same way that some men appear to be mocked when requesting an all male team. Her culture did not permit her to be touched by a male to whom she was not related and she was headed for a crash c-section with only minutes to save her baby. I saw a male anesthesiologist call her an idiot to her face.

I think one we need to get away from the idea of nurses being male or female and focus on professional nursing. When a patient of either gender expresses a desire/need for same sex treatment it should be honored whenever possible. The very frst nurses in Greece, Rome and even the Middle ages were men. Women were a historical late addition when diseases like plague blanketed Europe.

AS far as the implication that men can think more clearly in a crisis - I have seen just as many men fall apart under stress as women.

All nurses no matter their sex bring different talents to the table and should be respected. Lets stop focusing on male VS Female and instead focus on being solid professional nurses.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Hppy: Sounds like this woman _needed_ a c-section and _wanted_ something that while it would have been nice, probably wasn't available. Not sure what to think about the anesthesiologist calling her an idiot, but that's another issue. Free will, live and let live, if she chooses not to use a service because of a personal preference that's her right, but I have no opinion of whatever religious or cultural views people have. All any of us can do is tell a patient their options, give them the facts and let them make their own decisions.

I've never seen any male or female providers freak out, it's a job and it becomes routine, although in my experience the women do talk more (which has been the subject of a study or two if I recall), but really it just comes down to the individual.

I didn't mean to sound sexist in my earlier post, but was under the impression this was a male nurses forum/outlet.

I get your point and I usually don't but in to the Men's forum but I fail to see why a male who is "modest" should have people bending over backward to provide an all male team is any different than a woman who is devout in her faith wanting her religious a cultural needs met.

When I referred to just as many men falling apart in crises as women I was referring to the sexes in general not care providers per se'

You sound a lot like me in your working style - I'll try to butt out of the men's business

Quote Originally Posted by kayakingsteve View Post
    Hppy: Sounds like this woman _needed_ a c-section and _wanted_ something that while it would have been nice, probably wasn't available. Not sure what to think about the anesthesiologist calling her an idiot, but that's another issue. Free will, live and let live, if she chooses not to use a service because of a personal preference that's her right, but I have no opinion of whatever religious or cultural views people have. All any of us can do is tell a patient their options, give them the facts and let them make their own decisions.

I've never seen any male or female providers freak out, it's a job and it becomes routine, although in my experience the women do talk more (which has been the subject of a study or two if I recall), but really it just comes down to the individual.

I didn't mean to sound sexist in my earlier post, but was under the impression this was a male nurses forum/outlet.

PS I don't think you sound sexist at all - just a hard working professional who wants to be respected for what he does without a lot of nonsense added in.

Peace

No need to butt out. Sometimes I just try to find some "fellowship" with other guys because I get estrogen overload at work, but some of the best docs I worked for have been women too, everything should be merit based in the end!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast