Thread: Medical tourism can have risks

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Medical tourism can have risks

This is pretty scary; and you're trying to save money? http://www.fftimes.com/node/235847

Doctors in Alberta are warning people there are risks involved in travelling to foreign lands to get medical help—and they’re citing a new antibiotic-resistant superbug emerging in southern Asia as a prime example.

The province confirmed yesteray that it had one reported case of infection in the spring.

Dr. Gerry Predy, Alberta’s medical officer of health, only would say that the individual had been in a hospital in India before being infected and was discharged after being treated back in Canada.

Dr. Mark Joffe, Alberta Health Services’ senior medical director, said anyone considering travel for medical treatment anywhere in the world should weigh the risks.

“I would advise individuals to look at their options carefully and to understand that there are consequences to decisions,” Joffe told a news conference.

“There are potential complications to any procedures, anywhere they are done,” he warned.

The journal “Lancet Infectious Diseases” carried a study earlier this week describing bacteria with resistance conferred by an enzyme called New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase, or NDM-1.

It has been seen largely in E. coli bacteria and on DNA structures that easily can be copied and passed on to other types of bacteria.

It already is widespread in India and has been identified in 37 people who returned to Britain after surgery in India or Pakistan.

It also has has been detected in Australia, the United States, the Netherlands, and Sweden.

Only one other infection has been reported in Canada—involving a woman who successfully was treated with a combination of antibiotics in B.C.—again after being in India.

The superbug is expected to spread worldwide since many Americans and Europeans travel to India and Pakistan for elective procedures such as cosmetic surgery, the researchers said.

India also has become a destination for people seeking so-called liberation treatment for multiple sclerosis.

The treatment is based on a theory—first put forward by Italian doctor Paolo Zamboni—that blocked veins in the neck or spinal cord are to blame for MS.

However, two recent studies have cast doubt on its effectiveness.

Joffe wouldn’t address the liberation treatment and travel to India specifically, but did repeat his warning when asked about the risks.

“Again, I would emphasize that travelling anywhere for medical procedures, cosmetic procedures, necessary medical procedures, or anything, comes with a potential risk.”

The Indian Health Ministry came out swinging against the Lancet study yesterday, according to published reports in that country’s media.

The Times of India quoted a health ministry statement as saying the report was tainted by funding from the European Union and drug companies.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Still - lots of people are going over seas for healthcare - I read a story about a guy who went to China for a kidney transplant - apparently they have a lot of organs there due to all the executions of political criminals.

He had a successful outcome as far as I know. Not sure how I'd feel about getting an organ from someone who was executed though.

Almost Vampiric really

Peace and Namaste

Hppy