Thread: Nursing runs in family

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Nursing runs in family

I thought you all would find this a good story: http://www.ohio.com/news/101213174.html

Tom and Melissa ''Missy'' Covington, a Perry Township father and daughter who graduated together Friday in the first class from Walsh University's accelerated nurse's program, insist the decision to go into nursing was theirs alone.

Of course, they received support from his wife and her mother, Lisa Covington, who is a nurse, but there was no needling on her part.

Yet neither can deny being eyewitnesses over the years to the fulfillment Lisa experiences as a surgical nurse at Canton's Aultman Hospital.

Tom Covington, 49, who has a bachelor's degree from Concord University in Athens, W.Va. (where he met his wife), recently retired from U.S. Airways at Akron-Canton Airport.

His 25-year-old daughter has a bachelor's degree in biology from Kent State University and was seriously thinking about dental school. She worked for a time as a financial adviser and most recently as a dental hygienist.

Tom Covington explained his career-changing decision:

''After 9/11, a lot of things changed in the [airline] industry. So, I was ready for a change.''

Nursing, he said, had long been on his mind and nothing else seemed to hold the same allure. When he got the opportunity, he took some anatomy classes in the evening to test the waters and fulfill the program's prerequisites.

In no time, he was hooked.

Coincidentally, Missy Covington was thinking about a career change around the same time. Nursing seemed to be calling her, too.

''I knew nursing would be a steady career,'' she reasoned. ''And I love helping people.''

Both heard about Walsh's 15-month accelerated nursing program and decided to enroll.

Nearly 25 years separate them, but they were fast becoming equals in the classroom. They had all of their classes and clinicals together.

Clinicals involved long days of intense, on-the-job training at various hospitals, observing different areas of care (pediatrics, community health, etc.).

However, the Covingtons rarely studied together, they said. Their learning styles are different.

''It takes me a little longer,'' Tom said. ''I have to read it! Write it! And say it! I found it comes a little more naturally for the youth.''

Those enrolled in the specialized program also had several classes with undergraduate students.

Father and daughter conceded that the accelerated program was intense and not for everyone.

''You have to be dedicated, committed and critical thinkers,'' Tom said.

His daughter — dressed in matching maroon Walsh University scrubs and brandishing a similar smile — agreed.

''I think we were both surprised at just how rigorous it was,'' said Missy, who has been named the program's Outstanding Student.

''Walsh does have one of the top nursing programs in the state in terms of [number of graduates] passing the NCLEX,'' the National Council Licensure Examination, her father added.

Five other students, including two other men, graduated with them. (According to the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, men represent only 5.8 percent of the U.S. nursing work force.)

Like the Covingtons, all of their classroom colleagues — Edward Bozman of North Canton, Chad Bauman of Steubenville, Katherine Friedman of Waynesburg and Rachel Trapani and Tara Wagner, both of Canton — are veterans of other careers and already have a bachelor's degree (a requirement).

Neither father nor daughter is sure what area of nursing to pursue. They're much too busy mapping out their next step: taking a review course in preparation for their boards.

Until then, they will try to re-acquaint themselves with a time when she was free to enjoy the great outdoors and scrapbooking, and he played tennis.

Tom Covington also is a private pilot. Missy Covington formerly volunteered for Habitat for Humanity.

And they'll both be getting back to Perry Christian Church, where they haven't been as active lately.

Funny thing about those Covingtons. They each seem to have an innate ability to know what's good for them career-wise and the mettle to do something about it.

Mom Lisa Covington, who has a bachelor's degree in business, taught for a number of years before deciding that wasn't where her heart was. So she went to the Aultman Hospital School of Nursing. And to hear her family tell it, she's never looked back.

Rounding out the family is Missy's soon-to-be-married brother, Michael Covington, 23, of Broken Arrow, Okla.

He is a mechanic. His patients, you might say, are cars. Right now, that is. But stay tuned. With this family, you just never know.

That would be great if brother also becomes a nurse.