Thread: Wednesday, August 25th, 2010

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Wednesday, August 25th, 2010

Morning, folks; I'm gonna start the thread as usual. Hopefully someone will drop by today. *SIGH*

You all have been so quiet, am wondering what all's going on...... Hope all is well. Grndma, sorry to hear of your loss.

See you all later.

Must all be out there working overtime trying to keep up with bills, or enjoying the last few weeks of Summer. Know I'm planning at least one more trip to the Jersey Shore before school starts again for the kids.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    RICU went cross country, and didn't even fill us in yet, the bum.

Spent time with my mom today. Helped her get groceries into the car, as she has difficulty lifting things.

Ricu
    Okay, okay....

I sense a little frustration here with my failure to write about my trip. We got back last Tuesday and I went right into a 4 day on stretch so I'm still trying to pull it together. To begin with, anyone who thinks that you have to leave the country to see magnificent things is missing out. As much as we saw and did, we still barely scratched the surface so, I'll call it a sampler tour. On July 25th, six of us left Coastal New England in an RV and made for Niagra Falls. Next day, we took the boatride "Maid of the Mist, toured the Cave of the Winds and got splashed on the apprioriately named "Hurricane Deck", which was fine since it was ungodly hot. We went around the park and grounds which are all truly beautiful.

That afternoon we left, wanting to see more, but headed on our way to Louisville, Kentucky. We drove through the western Adirondax and wine country. Early that evening, we got to Churchill Downs, too late for the tour so, we walked around and took pics, then, made camp. Sill blazing hot, we hit the pool to cool off, followed by dinner. Next day, we wrapped things up in Ky and headed west.

We drove all day through Indiana, Illinois, Missouri and made camp in Nebraska, where the locusts were loud and the frogs plentiful. We went for an after dark swim and had to wade through the frogs on the way to the pool. Next morning, we headed for Omaha where we met our older daughter at the airport. Due to work, she could only join us for a week so we continued on to South Dakota where we encountered our first near miss tornado. We out drove the storm and continued on to the 1880's town where we stopped, saw some "Dances with Wolves" props, dressed in period clothing, took pics and then make camp. That evening on the news, we learned that the storm we drove through earlier had indeed spawned several tornadoes. Knowing we were likely to encounter severe weather in the plains in late summer, we had already discussed what safety measures we would take and in an RV, your only chance is to pull tightly against a solid structure, leave the vehicle and take covered shelter close to or underground. It was kinda scarey because there was nothing but wide open space for many miles in that area so we would've been toast.

Next morning, we made our way across the state and saw some of the most impressive features of the trip, wide open space, sandstone and limestone colored hills and bluffs, rivers, BIG SKY and of course, the "Badlands." I get the meaning of badlands but how absolutely beautiful. If any of you have made this drive West across South Dakota, you know about Wall Drug. Well, we stopped in Wall Drug and did the tourist thing for awhile. By late afternoon, we were in Deadwood where we made camp. It was 104 and dry as dust. Went to the pool and got a chill when I slipped into the 82 degree water. Next day we took a van tour through the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Iron Mountain Road, and Crazy Horse Memorial. We ate lunch at the Black Hills National Park Lodge and finished with a ghost tour of the Bullock Hotel in Deadwood, the town where Wild Bill Hickok was killed. The guide said it best, you get an incredible sense of Patriotism with Rushmore followed by an intensely spiritual experience at Crazy Horse and he was right. Each monument is very different and was built for and by very different means. What a spectacular day.

Well, this is about all the time I have today so I will continue with Wyoming and Devil's tower when I come back.

CYA,

R