Thread: Civilian nurses under contract to the military?

Civilian nurses under contract to the military?

I am considering contracting to the Army as a civilian LPN to make some tuition money to finish my last 2 semesters of LPNto RN ADN degree. But what if I discover that I am really unhappy at Army job or want to go back to school to finish the RN after one year of a 2year contract? Is it like not being able to get out of regular military until an enlistment is up? Or what if I just want a different duty station if a change in supervisor creates change in working atmosphere? I am honorably discharged vet as an LPN some years ago. I liked military but am not naive about risk that work
    atmosphere can change and that it may turn out to be a mistake. Can someone please provide info?

No idea where SoldierNurse is; he's the resident Military Expert. Maybe if you peruse some of the other posts here in the Military Forum?

I have no idea what is meant by a civilian contract with the military??? My guess is you were a 91C, which is now 68WM6, but is going to change back to it's own MOS like the 91C. What years did you serve?
    I'm active duty (Active Component) 66H8A, which is an AMEDD RN with ASI (additional skill identifier) in critical care. I've worked at Madigan (MAMC), FT Lewis, WA and now BAMC, FT Sam Houston. Plus, my wife (civilian ADN) worked as a GS, i.e. civil service, RN at MAMC. LOL, she worked there longer than me since I was in Iraq 15 months. She applied for the job like any other civilian nursing job. When I had PCS orders for FT Sam she gave her notice at MAMC. She had 90 days to apply (for transfer) at BAMC. Past 90 days she would have to reapply as if never worked as GS. She went to BAMC after we got settled to inquire about openings. No openings at the time at BAMC. She was hired at a civilian hospital & still working at the same place.

So, I cannot answer any of your questions since I've never heard of a civilian on contract with the military as an RN. When I was in Iraq we did have civilian contract workers but not as an RN or LVN (LPN).
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by suebird3 View Post
    No idea where SoldierNurse is; he's the resident Military Expert. Maybe if you peruse some of the other posts here in the Military Forum?
    LOL, not any more...
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

If you have been in the military before, then you know what to expect, OP. You can't just walk away from an enlistment if you are unhappy, you know that. Even officers who resign their commissions have to go through some administrative hoopla and it takes time. But you should be aware of that. Hope you resolved your dilemma.