Thread: Tips on great resources for students

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Tips on great resources for students

Hi aspiring nurses - I know how overwhelming nursing programs can be even when school is all you have to worry about.

When I was in nursing school I also worked full time, I also provided paliative care for my mother in law who was at home with end stage brain cancer, I was pregnant and then a new mother - combine that with the demands of nursing school and I was truely overwhelmed at times. Ultimately I became so exhausted that I took a semester off to regroup and then came back for a strong finish. One of the things I highly suggest is that you lock into some good resources that were very helpful to me ..I found some resources that were truely life savers and I am passing this info over to you all.

There are numerous drug guides and you most likely have one as a textbook. I didn't like the one the school wanted me to use and I purchased the one published by Nursing Magazine. The current edition is called the Nursing 2010 Drug Guide - you can get it at www.Amazon.com I like it because it comes with access to an internet data base which I still use today 8 years after nursing school.

Second life saving resource
    Nurse's Pocket Guide: Diagnoses, Interventions, and Rationales (Nurse's Pocket Guide: Diagnoses, Interventions & Rationales)

It's also available from WWW.amazon.com
    new it's about $13.00 but you can also get a used copy for less than a dollar. This book literally fits in your pocket and makes care planning a breeze.

Last but not least get a copy of Nurses Now Notes : This pocket sized guide has everything from drug calculations, ekg interp, essential lab values, blood gasses etc... It's great to carry around with you at clinicals and only costs $9.00. If you get a bunch of people together and order 35 copies they are a buck a piece. Our whole class got one and it really is a great resource. you can get it at
    www.nursingnownotes.com

When it comes to preparing for the NCLEX I would suggest the guides by Kaplan and also Lippincott and Williams. I hear both also have guides for the HESI test which thank God I didn't have to take.

Try to destress any time you can, farm the kids out to friends or reletives once in a while. Have sex with your significant other. Get sleep whenever you can and don't forget to eat right. Nothing replaces a good nights sleep before an exam.

If you haven't already done so take a class in criticle thinking and test taking - It will really help!

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Thumbs up Thanks a lot

Thank you for your tips. I'm struggling to find a balance between school and family. I have a little girl and husband to take care of and also cope with the school and the foreign language. I really want to have another child but I've postponed trying... I'm going to use any little tip available that can help me to reduce the load and still succeed in the program. Critical thinking class indeed has helped me. Now i always think about how i think
    Did you read any book on test taking techniques that really helped you?
    Thank you very much!

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I used two NCLEX preps that were great One was by Kaplan and had the questions in book format and also for the computer in a format very similar to the actual NCLEx. Also Lippincott and Williams was great as well.

The biggest thing for me was to slow down and read the question at least 3 times to make sure I understood just what the question was asking - Then look for key words in the answers provided that would automatically disqualify and answer.

Hppy