Thread: New grads

New grads

At the risk of sounding like an old grump, I just want to throw this scenario out there and get some feedback. Maybe perhaps, I'll achieve some insight. I am not talking about all new grads, I've worked with some eager, smart new grads and some hardworking nursing students. My frustration stems from 2 new grads I currently work with. These two grads are very outgoing and friendly, but only with (it appears to me) to be with people that it works to their benefit, Physicians, charge nurses, and other superiors. They spend alot of time socializing, laughing and entertaining certain higher ups but never show any gratitude or acknowledgement of anyone that can't give them something in return. Bats their eyes and ask, usually a male, to do any unpleasant Clinical procedures or care for unpleasant patients. Usually avoid anything unpleasant. Given fewer patients, less unpleasant assignments, charge nurses and upper management will bend over backwards to give then schedules to accomodate their social activities. For instance 7 days off to go to the beach while working another staff member nite on, nite off, nite on, nite off. Want to leave early, usually not a problem. Many staff members work extra shifts to cover, however if they occassionally pick up say one shift in 3-4 months they are praised up and down and it's discussed what can be done to show the unit's gratitude. They can't seem to do enough to appease these nurses. Yes, I know I sound jealous. But it's only these 2 grads and mostly one in particular. Any feedback? Anyone experience the same, or had any ideas on how to handle. I spoke w/ director about my preception of favortism, "oh, that's generation y. "

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Why not keep copies of the schedules, and show the 'pattern' of the new staff vs the old? I'd think that seniority would count for something. Then again, it looks like that doesn't alway happen.