Thread: need advice

Question need advice

i have been in recovery for ten years. I want more than anything to be a nurse again, I lost my license and never even tried to defend myself . I live in Texas and don't know if it is possible to get my license back. Has anyone been successful in this?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I don't know about Texas specifically but I can tell you many stories about recovering nurses going back to the work they love. I am just one of many. You have to check with your state board about the process for being reinstated - be prepared for lot's of red tape, possible monitoring, refreasher courses etc.....

Peace and good luck

Hppy

Get in touch with the Texas BRN...they will want proof of recovery...but most BRNs, even those who torture their prey, have avenues for licensure.
    Steph R. RN, MS

Quote Originally Posted by bre View Post
    i have been in recovery for ten years. I want more than anything to be a nurse again, I lost my license and never even tried to defend myself . I live in Texas and don't know if it is possible to get my license back. Has anyone been successful in this?
    my friend was in same boat. she got her license here in tx. she is board monitored for 2 years. the 2 years does not begin until she obtains employment. She cant find a job, she has done refresher courses and attends tpapn support group in dallas. Still cant find a job. one of the stips is that another rn must be present while she works. I am in tpapn and can't find a job. I wish you luck. you can get your license but what good a license when nobody will hire you. also you will have to pay for random ua's. i am thinking of surrendering my license and going to school for something else. good luck!!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    However, if you surrender your license, what if you come to regret that decision down the road? I believe that there were one or two other posters who have indicated that sentiment.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I think that I would mentor an RN trying to regain his/her license. But CA does not require that. If you look into AA and NA in TX and find an RN to be your sponsor and mentor perhaps that will help. As Cougar has mentioned some can surrender their license without regret but other yearn to be nurses again. If you want it badly enough you will find a way.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    I think that I would mentor an RN trying to regain his/her license. But CA does not require that. If you look into AA and NA in TX and find and RN to be your sponsor and mentor perhaps that will help. As Cougar has mentioned some can surrender their license without regret but other yearn to be nurses again. If you want it badley enough you will find a way.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy
    It might be good to look for non-patient care jobs. Call centers sometimes hire RNs in monitoring programs. Also, blood banks and dialysis centers. I got a job evaluating nursing documentation for two years before I was allowed to even do patient care, and this was in Cali also. I went on to get a Masters while I waited for a real job, and now not working at all...doing a fully funded PhD. Continuing your education on a formal level might not be a bad idea...doesn't solve the money problems...but sometimes the funding for a Master's degree involves a stipend. Maybe give that some thought.
    Steph R. RN, MS

Do not be afraid. Go after what ever you please and do it boldly. God luck. Ten years says alot. I did not realize how intoxicating and damaging chemical dependency could be on my life until I had several months of sobriety. I can only imagine ten years horay, hip hip horay.

I miss it every day...

I was a nurse for several years...I was well respected among my peers, so it was a shock to everyone to learn that I was an addict...I hurt my neck, was given pain medication over a long period of time(which was the first time I ever had pain medication). I was hooked...before long I was going to multiple doctors and even diverting. I was given the opportunity to complete a program for impaired nurses, which I accepted. At the time though I had not accepted that I was an addict...I floated around from meeting to meeting never really buying into the fact that I had a problem...I had chronic pain after all...I made many excuses that fed my denial...To make a long story short, I failed a UA and was discharged...License revoked...That was in 2004...I have since regained my sobriety--for about 5 years now. I have realized that these things didn't happen to me, but because of me and my actions. I miss being a nurse every day. I thank everyone for sharing their experiences here. It has given me hope that I may someday go back to the thing I was meant to do. I have not been in any sort of organized recovery, no sponsor, etc. The board here is very big on having been in recovery and after care...I would really like to locate a NA or AA meeting for healthcare professionals and start the process of getting my license back. I feel that even though I have been sober, I really need some outside support and would be grateful if anyone is aware of any resources in my state.

Stained
    It is not difficult to find meetings and sources of help. Use the internet or the yellow pages to look up "Narcotics Anonymous" or "Alcoholics Anonymous" and find a location online or call. One can also usually find a phone number in the personals ad section of any newspaper. It is a step in the right direction for you to realize that you need support in your recovery and to seek that support. Good luck.