Thread: RN boards question

RN boards question

Hi everyone. I am an LVN currently working in a convalescent hospital. 15 years ago I was 2 weeks from graduating from my RN program when a prolonged family illness forced me to drop out. I have heard there is a law that says if you came that close to completing an RN program, you may be able to challenge the boards. Does anyone know anything about this or if there is a time limit on it? If not, can anyone refer me to the appropriate place to find out any answers? Thanks you

Re: RN boards question

Call the CA board of nursing(BON), that's the only way for sure to find out whether or not you'll be able to apply to take the NCLEX. Make sure you have all of your paper work with you before you talk to someone because it is a bit hard to get through by phone. I have only been able to reach the board by phone, my name was spelled incorrectly and I sent an email and got an automatic reply that they were doing something about it, but two years has gone by and it is still incorrect on the website. I have had many problems getting my license since I was first licensed outside of California, my advice when dealing with the boards is to call them via the number on the website and keep calling them and don't trust what you read on the actual webpage because policies change and sometimes they can't update them fast enough. I can't tell you how much time and money I have spent to try and send things by mail, only to get a letter saying that I didn't fill something out correctly. When I then called to clarify I found out that what I sent was either partially lost or the policy had changed from what was currently on the website. The actual people at the BON have always been pleasant and accomodating, but the volume of paperwork that they have to deal with is great, and so calling is the best way to get a hold of them, in my humble opinion.