Thread: Ky BON: 1 in 10 could be working under the influence

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Ky BON: 1 in 10 could be working under the influence

Guys and gals, I saw this and had to post it. What all do you say? DO you want to say? http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Adr...106911878.html

They're often the kind faces and compassionate people you meet in times of desperate need.

Over 25 years ago, a man we'll call "George" says he realized his calling -- to be a nurse.

"I love taking care of people and helping others,” said George.

Many nurses do wonderful work on the front lines of the medical field -- a taxing profession.

"Overworked and underappreciated,” said George.

A small few though -- are working under the influence.

"My problem was mainly alcohol, but I certainly took drugs,” George said.

His satisfaction with the job comes from helping others triumph over illnesses or traumatic experiences.

"And being able to bring a smile to somebody's face possibly,” he said.

But when it came to even acknowledging his own illness, George was in denial.

"I would never think it was an addiction then. It wasn't until my 30s that I used that word alcoholic. But I drank from about 12,” he said. "You take daddy's beer and you go out in the garage and drink it and it's that rite of growing up."

A rite of passage that became much more. During a few years of his nursing career, he says he drank early in the day and many times, all day long.

"I didn't drink at work certainly. On occasion, depending upon what shift I was working, I could have a beer with dinner and go to work at 11,” George said. “Maybe I still had alcohol in my system and I wasn't fully cognitive.”

But at the time he says he only thought of himself, not his patients. And he began to justify his addiction.

"I'm overworked. I'm stressed. I need relief,” said George.

And soon, he says his alcohol addiction was a gateway for a drug addiction. He found himself charging out meds for patients - giving them what they needed and taking the leftover.

"You put people in harm’s way and you don't think about that at that moment because the addiction has you,” George said.

However, this isn't a problem specific to George.

In Kentucky, there are 72,622 licensed, active nurses.

The Kentucky Board of Nurses says last fiscal year they only received 382 drug and alcohol related complaints. But the Board estimates 1 in 10 nurses are struggling with addiction.

"We're talking about over 7,000 nurses who are potentially abusing or in full blown addiction,” said Paula Schenk, manager of the Kentucky Board of Nurses “KARE” Program.

KARE stands for Kentucky Alternative Recovery Effort - a five year monitoring program for nurses who are overcoming addiction.

"There have been nurses who've bought copious amounts of controlled substances off the internet,” Schenk said. "They literally are stealing medications from hospitals or long-term care facilities. They can also engage in other illegal activity such as writing fraudulent prescriptions or buying drugs off the street."

She says nurses in the KARE program consistently talk about the high stress and anxiety from the job.

"The complexities of the patient's condition and trying to juggle and prioritize the care for so many patients in a short span of time,” Schenk said.

Schenk says the stress of the job, coupled with the easy access to medications only facilitates an addict’s problem. And because nurses are educated about medications, Schenk says, there's a certain attitude that some addicts have.

"My knowledge protects me. I know how to use these medications. I know what they will do,” Schenk said.

But like anyone else, nurses aren't immune to the side effects of addiction. When under the influence, memory, judgment, reasoning and the ability to process information have all been affected.

"Clearly, those critical functions have been affected such that it places the patient in harm’s way,” added Schenk.

The KARE program has admitted 600 nurses over the past nine years. Over half graduate from the program, others don't comply with the strict guidelines and have their licenses suspended. The relapse rate is about 25%. Charlotte Beason, the Executive Director of the Board of Nursing, says it's important to remember, that if 1 in 10 nurses are possibly impaired.

"Nine, at least, out of 10 and probably more are functioning at the highest standards and giving quality care,” Beason says.

And she says the Board of Nursing immediately investigates any complaint -- probating, suspending or revoking licenses when necessary.

"I think that individuals can be very comfortable going into a hospital, clinic, doctors’ office," Beason added.

George participated in the KARE program after years of denial and being clean and dry, but not sober. It wasn't until his boss smelled alcohol on his breath during a work function and gave George the option to resign - that George admitted he had a problem.

"Just being able to stop is a wonderful thing... and staying stopped,” said George. "I have a joy in my heart that I had never had before. I have a realization that I am worthwhile."

For more information about the KARE program: http://kbn.ky.gov/kare/ or call 1-800-305-2042.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I fnd it very believable - In my career as a nurse and addict myself I encountered many nurses who were impaired both on and off the job - sadly many will not seek help until they are caught. So glad I am not still caught in that insanity.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

I also cross posted it in the KY State Forum, as it has the hot line number listed.

Strikes a chord with me

I was this nurse. The only think that bothers me about this, and because it is typical of stories about diversion...is the notion that all addicted nurses have diverted at work. I did not. I broke the law outside of the hospital. So what is the difference? The difference to me is NOT that I am somehow "better than" for I certainly might have gone down that road had my online resources dried up. The difference to me is that the scenario brings more stigma down on us. People can't focus on the illness (I mean JQ Public here) when they are thinking about Grandma not getting her morphine after her hip replacement because some evil addict nurse took it for his or her self. I'd like to see more stories that focus on how to identify and help rather than shed light on the actual actions.

Just me.
    Steph R. RN, MS

Syck, I hear ya. What of the person who diverts/counts are off, yet casts the blame on other co-workers? I tell you that this has happened, and just recently in my place of work. I won't go into particulars, but there is one person whose license was nailed twice in the year before getting hired, and it was just posted on the BON. Yes, help is needed. You can only take the person away from temptation for so long, correct?

That would be another good thread---let's think on it!

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Like Syck I never diverted from the hospital where I worked or took meds meant for a patient - I was pretty much a garden variety drunk who had a quack on deck who would pretty much prescribe anything I wanted. That Doctor is now in Federal prison for Prescribing more Vicodin and Oxycontin than any other Doctor in the United States in 2009! I don't know where my addiction would have lead me and the fact that I didn't steal did not make me better than anyone else. But the stigma of the addicted nurse always suggests a nurse who steals patient's meds or steals from the hospital. Plus there are many nurses who are not addicts who work under the influence of meds such as ativan,Xanax and narcotics that are legitimately obtained and legally prescribed. Many would not consider themselves impaired when in fact their judgement and reaction time is affected by these medications. Impaired is impaired and working while taking these meds is a violation of the nurse practice act in most states. So many nurses are in recovery programs because of an errror at work followed by a positive drug screen for a med they are taking legally. It's a real mess. Don't even get me started about nurses who move from hospital to hospital or state to state waiting for the Boards to catch up with them. The solution is not removing someone from temptation but making sure someone gets treatment for their disease. Recovery is a lifelong process and it has nothing to do with will power. I know I am only one drink away from that spiral and keeping that in my mind keeps me straight.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

I completely agree with you Happygrateful. Many is the time...before I became addicted and lost control, that I was taking the prescibed amount of my Xanax, and I would go to the Pyxis for a highly risky drug and have the wherewithal to consider whether or not I was too impaired to be involved with this critical patient's care...but I always did it. Being an addict in the early stages...I was able to deny my impairment and do the deed. Now I THINK I wouldn;t do that. But you know what they say...cunning, baffling, powerful:

8 times...will work on Number 9 today
    = times banned...and proud OF it.
    Steph R. RN, MS