Thread: New Grad

New Grad

I have been an LPN for 15 years and will graduate in May with my RN. I would really like to work in an ER. What kind of continuing education would make me a great ER nurse and help land a job.

Thanks for the info!

Re: New Grad

I couldn't tell you what would help, but I'd imagine a little bit of everything. We offer continuing ed here through ceu4u.

http://www.ultimatenurse.com/ceu4u.htm

Reggi,
    Your years of experience as an LPN will probably help you a great deal since you have experience under your belt in some sort of patient setting. Although some hospitals won't hire new grad nurses to work in ER your experience as an LPN for all those years might allow them to hire you anyway. Other hospitals I know of DO hire new RN grads to work in ER & provide all training there.

Most want ER nurses to have had some years of critical care experience though. Did you have any critical care or ICU experiences?

Every hospital has their own criteria, but I believe most will require RN's working in ER to have their current CPR provider certification (at the least) -- many also insist on ACLS & PALS - and some want ATLS later.. some may let you get your ACLS & PALS certification within a certain period of time after you go to work there though rather than as a condition of hire. You will certainly need to get those certifications though.

You'll need to be proficient in doing and interpreting 12 lead ECG's as well. You can read ACLS & PALS study books, or wait and take an ACLS & PALS course through your hospital & take the tests then.. or you can do a combo--

get the study books.. and also a good easy to understand how to learn ecg book... or you can get software to help you learn both on your computer as well as prepare for the actual exams-- http://medi-smart.com/software.htm .

What sort of patient units do you work in as an LPN?

Reggi,

Many of the ERs have preceptor or internship programs for new grads. These assign you to a preceptor, put you on their schedule and they guide you in the new setting. As you have many years experience, be it as an LPN, that should give you an edge.
    Check out the facilities in your area and see what is being offered. If they have an internship program, ask for specifics....how long, do you have the opportunity to get your ACLS, etc?

Good luck in your endevor.

mercynurse

The above advice is good. If you can't get directly into an ER, try and critical care residency. I find that most new nurses hired to the ER find the critical care part to be the hardest. SO a year or more in critical care will only help you. Your 15 years as an LPN will come in handy. You know basic patient care...Just a matter of changing roles and learning new skills. Most ER's will require ACLS and BLS. PALS is great to have. ENPC (emergency nurse pediatric course) and TNCC (trauma Nurses core corriculum) are very helpful. A good basic EKG class and maybe a deeper course on 12 leads would be good. Just keep trying..and if you find you get into it and don't like it...don't hesitate to move on.. Doing something you don't like isn't worth the pain...Hope you find your niche..I truly love the ER. You become a Jill of all trades.. Good experience for floating else where if you choose to.
    Laura

word of advise: its not classes or cont ed that will make you better, but being street smart and experience (Which only comes with time) will enhance your stay. Also remember as a new grad which was unusual during my time; when getting report remember you do not know what the day or night was like for the for the prev nurse, never ever complain of the mess left to you! in a busy er catch up is the name of the game, and if you whinning of what your getting, i suggest you go to a floor and work there for a while till you understand loads!

Talking Re: New Grad

Hi Reggie:

Congrats in order. To be a good ED nurse you just have to be flexible, tough, healthy; and cynical. This is a busy environment, every ED is different, so they willet you know what you need to work in that area. It's on you to become CEN or earn any other type of educational qualifications that will help you move up. But mostly you will have to be flexible, alert, funny and have a tough skin. :luck: :luck: :houra: