Thread: Home Health CNAs -- If full time, are health benefits, etc. usually provided.

Home Health CNAs -- If full time, are health benefits, etc. usually provided.

I'm changing careers from medical transcriptionist to CNA and someday LPN or possibly RN. I'm debating whether to apply at nursing homes or for a home health agency. Before I decide which to start with I was wondering if home health agencies even offer benefits, like health, dental, paid time off, etc.

I know every home health agency is different in some ways so am just asking about home health agencies in general.

It sure would be a big help if someone could advise me.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I don't know why you would drop the medical transcriptionist to become CNA. Why not keep the job you have and just go to nursing school? Take it from me being a CNA is really hard work and often thankless. I'm not putting down CNA's most are great caring people but it certainly can't pay you more than you make as a transcriptionist and even if you get benefits the cost of them will eat up a lot of your pay.

I'd hate to see you get burned out on health care working your butt off. I do a kind of home health in that we take care of developmentally disabled adults living and working in the community setting. Our aids do get bennies but we only pay them $8.10 an hour which is minimum wage here in California.
    We are always hiring so if you live in Southern California you can apply with us. We have three shifts which often work well for students if you don't mind the NOC 10p-6a shift.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

The reason I'm asking is the place I do medical transcription for is switching to EMR and will phase me out eventually. MT jobs are few and far between because the market is saturated with unemployed transcriptionists because of EMR and sending jobs overseas. I know what you mean about CNA work burning me out and was thinking home health would be easier but I wasn't sure if they paid benefits.

That's so kind of you to tell me about a job offering, but unfortunately, I'm in Central VA so that would be quite a commute!

Peace and Namaste

I think you should give a try to CNA. This field is also demanding and rewarding at the same time. And benefits include long-term disability, medical, vision, dental, life insurance, and AD&D insurance, with a flexible spending a/c that lets you to use pre-tax dollars to pay for certain dependent-care and medical expenses.