Thread: West Palm Beach sheriffs investigating nursing license aplicants

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

West Palm Beach sheriffs investigating nursing license aplicants

OK: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_...nse-applicants

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office is investigating claims that phony diplomas are helping some people get a nursing license.

The Academy for Practical Nursing and Health Occupations of Palm Beach County is in the middle of the investigation.

"We have never had an issue like this," said Lois Gackenheimer, director and president of the academy.

Gackenheimer has been the academy's director for the past 22 years.

Gackenheimer says the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office contacted her during the summer with information that someone was pocketing thousands of dollars and promising to give diplomas from the academy's program.

Once a diploma was "made", that person would have the green light to apply to take the National Licensing Exam for Practical Nursing in their state of choice.

According to court documents, "several fraudulent applications have been found."

Huberie Gregoire was charged on August 3rd with practicing medicine without a license. The report showed Gregoire claimed she graduated from the academy. The report also showed that Gregoire had worked at the Palm Garden of West Palm Beach nursing facility for nearly four months.

"It's a very serious matter...and the health, welfare and safety of the public are at stake...so it was certainly very troubling to me," said Gackenheimer.

Gackenheimer said the school's students and staff had no idea what was happening and were not involved.

"It's a shame that some individuals would try to resort to a fraudulent means of becoming a nurse," said Gackenheimer.

This is troubling. However, I always thought some nurses were fraud from the begining. This may be the start of a national problem uncovered. Have you not met nurses who seemed clueless? Nurses from other countrys particularly who took years to pass their boards and still could not practice at the lowest standard of care but had managers who covered for them. Really. I am certain this is not new.