Thread: Nursing home regulators focused on tracking serious citaions

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Nursing home regulators focused on tracking serious citaions

This is an alert, folks! http://www.kentucky.com/2010/12/23/1...s-focused.html

Nursing home regulators are rolling out new ways to better track citations issued to long-term-care facilities, a move designed to further protect residents in the state's more than 300 nursing homes.

The Cabinet for Health and Family Services Inspector General said this week that her office has established regular meetings with its staff to better track citations, is upping its training of nursing home regulators and is developing a standardized intake form for reporting abuse and neglect.

A series of Herald-Leader stories this summer found that Type A citations — those given when abuse and neglect result in death, broken bones or other serious injuries — aren't always reviewed by prosecutors and local law enforcement and that few Type A citations result in successful prosecutions.

Although the state sends all of the most serious nursing home violations to the attorney general's office, staff there said they never received at least five Type A citations issued by the inspector general from December 2006 through 2009.

Meanwhile, some investigations of Type A citations languished for months. Only seven of 107 Type A citations in which state investigators thought residents were in danger of death or serious injury resulted in prosecutions, the Herald-Leader found.

This is what the clients and families need. Not to mention the public. I know I have made complaints which were catastrophic, never appeared in the facility review or with in the state's regulatory profile.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    My work in ICF-DDH facilities is closely inspected and monitored by state regulators - in fact we are in the middle of inspections right now with survey windows open through Spring! It's a very nerve wracking experience. Our faciliies give very good care but I hear horror stories every day about facilities my clients have lived in before coming to us. One of my clients had her nose bit off and another came to us with several newly healed but very suspicious broken bones. If these places are as closely inspected as we are I can't see how they get away with it!

Hppy

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    One thing that I am curious about is: what else is the patient diagnosed with? Is there osteoporosis that is not dx'd? Dual Dx (psych/MR)?