Thread: Interest in community/public health...education path?

Interest in community/public health...education path?

I'm a sophomore in a 4 year BSN program, and I know that in the future, I want to have a career in community/public health. I am definitely going to get a Masters, but I'm trying to figure out which is better: Getting a MSN in community nursing or a MPH (Masters of Public Health).

Opinions? Advice? I know I still have plenty of time, but I started looking at grad schools practically at the same time I started at looking for schools for undergrad so it's just kinda my thing.

Thanks!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Depends on where you want to work in the long run. The way I understand it, to get upper level jobs with the CDC, NIH, UN, orw WHO, either degree is necessary. HOWEVER---I believe a MPH is necessary if you do NOT have a nursing degree (at least a BSN).

Although, there are many interdisciplinary aspects added to most MSN curricula, an MSN is a nursing degree unlike the MPH . MPH programs welcome candidates from multidisciplinary fields. You receive well-rounded training in biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health, social sciences, and management. An MPH degree can open many doors in healthcare research and can further one's goal to advance in the management ladder.

Do you want to advance in the corporate ladder as a manager? You still have the option of pursuing an MSN in this case. Some MSN programs are geared towards nurse managers and provides you advanced training in nursing service administration.

In making your decision, ask yourself what you enjoy the most. Do you like staying in clinical practice? Do you enjoy teaching/training nurses? Do you see yourself participating in research in the nursing field? Then maybe an MSN will be right for you.

Also, found this link that may be of interest: http://www.jefferson.edu/jchp/nursing/JSN-MSN-MPH.pdf It's a dual degree.

As I said, I'll have a BSN, so there are no worries there.

I'll probably either want to stay in clinical practice or do community outreach/patient education.

Research, as a career, definitely is not something I am interested in, and I feel like it's too early to tell with management because I've had no experience in that so far.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Well, you don't have to do research, so no problems there. I am sure you may get your chance at management.