Thread: Want to be a nurse again

Want to be a nurse again

Hi All,

I am a recovering nurse with more than 10yrs in the program. I have a current unrestricted license in Illinois which I keep current however I live in Southern California. I have been working in occupational health and safety positions that have not required a nursing license therefore I have not attempted to get a California license (why go through the hassle when its not necessary, right?) I was recently laid off from my job and have toyed with the idea of going back to nursing in a psychiatric setting for the past couple of yrs. My question ? Has anyone that has completed probation and recovery programs in another state had to get a California license that could advise me of what they will expect and how are the job prospects in Southern California? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Ruthi

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Well I don't know what the state to state issues might be. Did you go through a recovery program in Illinois? When I completed my program here in CA my record was expunged - so there is no record on my California license. If Illinois is a compact state you may just be able to apply for a job under you current license I'm not sure how any of that works. If at all possible I would do whatever you can to avoid getting caught up in Califonia's diversion program. It won't kill you but will add an extra element of stress you don't need if you truley have been in recovery 10 years and are living sober.

As for Job prospects Phych is a challenging field. I did acute psych for 5 years and loved it ( I guess it helped that I am a little nuts myself). Depending on where you live I know a facility that would most likely hire you. It's an acute in-patient psych facilty and they do hire nurses in recovery - even those on probation and/or diversion. It's located in Covina CA. I left there on very good terms and am friendly with the DON. So if it sounds like something you want to try let me know.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    No, IL isn't a Compact State.

BTW, welcome to the site, Ruthi!

I actually went through 2 programs, the infamous Florida IPN and a 2 yr probation requiring testing meetings and support group after I relapsed while working in that state. No problem since that time but then I havent allowed myself to work around drugs and alcohol. I know they want a letter with my past treatment and present recovery documented but not sure they will want anything else.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I would call the CA board and explain your situation (anonymously) see what they require to work in CA. Then follow those steps. If they recomend Diversion or probation I would say go the probation route; As you can work on probation. They might require testing so be prepared. As my grandma used to say --- "get all your ducks in a row" and get to it. Again if you are in the San Gabriel Valley area I can get you an interview - the rest is up to you.

Peace

Hppy

Words of caution, and personal experience with moving from one state to another.
    Ruthie, you don't say whether or not Ill. knows anything about your Recovery status or whether or not you are "free and clear" because of a type of Diversion program that expunges your records. I moved from North Carolin to CA about 6 years ago. I was IN a Diversion program in NC, and when I arrived in Cali, I anonymously called the BRN and asked what I should do? I was advised to get a job as an RN (I already had a CA license from years before), establish recovery, keep taking random urine drug screens as had been set up in NC...All of said activities so that when CA received an allegation from NC's BON, and in about a year afterwards, when CA had had the opportunity to investigate and react...I would be able to show that I had been doing wonderfully well, as an RN via employer records, as clean via drug testing, and in active recovery as demonstrated by signed AA attendance cards. When CA did catch up with me, it turned out that this advice was not the best. I was disallowed from the Diversion program because I had not entered it voluntarily when I arrived in Cali. I did fight and won entrance to the Diversion program finally and they DID accept my records as being clear evidence of solid recovery...still, I was required to leave my job (couldn't practice as an RN) for 6 months, was required to go to another 90 meetings in 90 days, and was still forced to be in this program for 2 full years. Our situations do not seem to be the same on the face of things, but please be aware that an anonymous phone call to the BRN of CA may not yield the best advice.

Other words of caution...some of you may know that I spoke of "some non-recovery actions" in a forum or two, and my own blog. Someone has taken it upon themselves to report this information to the BRN. I am to enter Diversion once again unless I allow the allegation to be investigated. In CA, when this happens, our medical, psych, and other treatment records become available to the Board...therefore, I am screwed. I cannot fight. I will never be allowed to know the identity of the person who reported me,or the exact nature of the allegation itself, including not knowing if it did indeed result from one of my entries into nursing forums.

Everyone who posts...if you engage in any "non-recovery actions" DO not give in to the temptation to self-reveal this information (out of guilty feelings) to anyone who might get pissed at you later on and decide to report you. JUST DON'T DO IT.

Regretfully,
    SyckRN
    Last edited by SyckRN; 01-21-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
    Steph R. RN, MS

Off topic here: In Florida, one can call in anonymously about someone else's driving. Happened to my aunt. What a mess.

In Cali it is encouraged very aggressively to report drunk drivers anonymously. Sometimes it is better for the public when this happens. Sometimes it is a big hassle for someone who isn't actually impaired. Tolerance is so low here that you can get arrested while driving while too tired...you can't even admit that you are tired!!!
    Steph R. RN, MS

Just hoping that everything works out for you. I am apprehensive thinking that the board of nursing is going to surprise me with another sanction.