Thread: Saturday, JAN 15, 2011

Saturday, JAN 15, 2011

Goooooooooood Morrrning!!! GET UP! GET MOVING! I'll give you 15 minutes but you've already wasted 5 mins. C'mon people, let's go. We've got lives to save.

Yes, I'm working this weekend but no complaints. Two days off prior & two days off after this wknd. Usually balances out. Not too bad of schedule except work every other wknd. Been busy lately. I find out in a few weeks if I get medical separated (one time severance pay), medical retirement (monthly pension w/full benefits), or stay on active duty w/left shoulder limitations. Prefer the latter, would despise option 1, and option 2 ok based on disability %, i.e. how much $$$ q monthly.

Anyway, must get ready for work. Morning report starts at 0645.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Good morning, stranger! I knew you have a weird work schedule, and was wondering where the heck you took off to.

I understand you not wanting option one re: your arm. What would you do if that option happened? Would you still be able to work at the hospital you are at now? You'll have to tell me when you are able.

I know I got up late----been going to bed late, and I need my sleep. Don't think we need a cranky cat around here. Now that I have coffee, I will be fine.

Just to let you all know that, since my last post, I got a call from my Dad---he called 911 due to my Mom.

I lost my mother at 11:10 am. Not sure if you all remember, she'd been in the hospital back 2 years ago, and had a dx of CHF, right sided heart failure, and all that good stuff. Dad found her semi slumped over this am, and called the paramedics. She had 2 other MI's while in the hospital.

Please.....say a prayer for her.

I will be back on the site when I am able to be on. Nothing is set in stone, as Dad is dealing with shell shock. His wife of 53+ years is gone.

Thank you for reading this.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    My thoughts and prayers - fly with you and your family - Went through this two years ago - PM me if you need to talk

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Sorry I have not called you. I'm working 12 hr shift, which usually ends up at least 13. However, found a spot by a window in hallway near STICU (where I work).

Yes, most definitely prayers will go out for your mother, now in heaven. Also, I will pray that you & your father may have strength during this time of loss.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Thank you, my 'other' family. I do appreciate everything. Just got back from 2 1/2 hours spent with dad, making sure he got something in his system. He is himself (!), but I know that things still need to settle/sink in.

Funny how death makes us see things: I have been a nurse for 23 years, and have dealt with death so many times. I may not be a cardio nurse, but still----knew that, given Mom's recent history, we were on borrowed time. Dad would 'preach' to her, but she lived life HER way.

What else is strange: while on route to my folks' house, not more than 2 blocks away from their drive: a doe, followed by 2 bucks, crossed the street. Another buck was on route to cross the street, followed by 2 more deer. Coincidence? Not sure. All I am sure of is that Mom has made it peacefully.

I will keep all of you updated for sure. Thanks again for your support, now and always.

Cat anic:

Ricu
    Cat, you love your dad and will do for him in any way that he will let you, but you know how people make peace in their own way. He's probably talking up a storm with your mom just like she's right there with him and she probably is.

Things I sense that we've all come to know as true.

Life is lived as it is and there should be no regrets. Having medical knowledge doesn't matter when it's your loved one in the bed. Preaching only helps the preacher, but the "preachee" loves him for caring. Finally, there are no coincidences.

Peace,

R

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    Cat, you love your dad and will do for him in any way that he will let you, but you know how people make peace in their own way. He's probably talking up a storm with your mom just like she's right there with him and she probably is.

Things I sense that we've all come to know as true.

Life is lived as it is and there should be no regrets. Having medical knowledge doesn't matter when it's your loved one in the bed. Preaching only helps the preacher, but the "preachee" loves him for caring. Finally, there are no coincidences.

Peace,

R
    Ya know, Ricu, you do make sense. Was at the folks' house again, looking for the outfit Mom is going to wear. After my Aunt left, was looking through their wedding album. Husband tapped a page, and told me to look out the window behind me. A doe was treking through the yard, and spent the better part of 45 minutes, pacing the yard. Dad saw her, too, and damned if she didn't look straight at him. I know it was Mom's way of getting through to us.

Also, before we left, Dad said 'It's gonna be awfully quiet around here.....' We'll muddle through somehow. Thanks, my friend!

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post

Peace,

R
    Hey Ricu - I love this do you mind if I borrow it?

Peace and Namaste

Hppy