Thread: Nursing program loses approval

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Nursing program loses approval

FYI: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live...litics&sid=101

The Ohio Board of Nursing has voted to withdraw approval for Miami-Jacobs Career College's practical nursing program.

The decision, made Friday and effective immediately, was based on "recurring deficiencies related to a disregard for the students," said Lisa Emrich, a board programs manager.

Students who graduate from the program after Friday are not eligible to be licensed in Ohio.

"Currently enrolled students would need to transfer to an approved program," Emrich said. The private college voluntarily stopped enrolling new students in its nursing program last spring.

Miami-Jacobs has five campuses in Ohio, including one in Downtown Columbus, that offer two-year degrees in health, business, technical and other vocations.

Miami-Jacobs officials, in a statement, said they are "outraged" by the board's decision.

The board "defied the examiner's recommendation which clearly acknowledged our progress and also recommended continuing our accreditation for another year as we continue to improve the program," the statement said.

The college plans to seek an order Monday from the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas to set aside or stay the board's ruling.

Inspectors have continuously found deficiencies with the nursing program since it was created in 2006.

State Rep. Clayton Luckie, D-Dayton, has advocated for more than 100 Miami-Jacobs students who filed complaints about the school and its programs with his office. He urged the board during a hearing Thursday to revoke the college's approval.

Nursing board investigators have found that the school repeatedly used unqualified instructors and administrators, and did not meet curriculum standards.

Unhappy

If every board disqualified every program that uses unqualified instructors and whose curriculum shorted students, there would be far fewer nursing programs in the US. Many programs in the for profit sector are poor.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    know that the Calif BON did something similar with the Excelsior program a few years back. It seems their clinical hours did not meet the standards for licensure. It was found that many graduates of the program simply weren't prepared for safe practice. I had several friends caught up in this. They did end up transitioning to more traditional programs but lost most of the crdits they earned through Excelsior in the process.

Hppy

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    I know I've posted about the Excelsior program in the past. Am too lazy/ticked off to look the stuff up at the present time.

Have heard that other states have problems with the Clinical portion not being concurrent with the classwork.

Re: Miami Jacobs---am sure I have posted other stories about this subject, too. Again, too tired/ticked to look things up.

Thanks for all the input!