Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011

I'll decide how good it is later. Just got up a bit ago, and we are buried in the white stuff. Drifts all over.....barely any plows around. I'd say we got NAILED!

I really do need coffee to handle this.

One cold 'Cat'

We had thundersnow last night, and could barely see the light at the corner. I've heard howling wind before, but this took the prize.

Finally found our digital camera, and got a shot of our porch. Talk about drifts! Have only one problem with camera: I put in new batteries, and the dang thing still says 'need new batteries'. What the hell?!

Ricu
    Snow and more snow here. Not a record by any means but still a lot more than we've had in years. Had a terrible experience last night- was put on call due to low census on the eve of another 15 inch drop. Got an email this morning to cancel class for this evening. Suddenly my schedule is open...

Stay safe everyone.

R

It is baaaaad here, Ricu. More snow is coming down, too.

By no means will I say this is like the Snow Storm of '67, but it is brutal. Snow got under our garage door, and we have a fancy drift that is going around the North side of the house, similar to one we had at my folks' house in '79. More flakes here.

The drifts are what the dips are going to use for 'record' snowfall, I am sure. Native just snowblowed our driveway. What a mess. He looks like a cross between a Yeti and icicle. Thankfully he has a snowsuit.

Following are the five top winter storms to hit Chicago:

1. 23.0 inches on Jan. 26-27, 1967
    2. 21.6 inches on Jan 1-3, 1999
    3. 19.2 inches on March 25-26, 1930
    4. 18.8 inches Jan 13-14, 1979
    5. 17.3 inches Feb. 1-2, 2011 (and counting)

We'd just moved into our house about a month or so before the Dump of '99, and that was pretty bad, too. Had to dig myself INTO the driveway, as I had been at work.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Sounds like you need some huskies and a dog sled - I'm spoiled by this California weather it's about 60 degrees right now and sunny no rain in sight.

try to stay off the road if you can.
    Peace and Namaste
    Hppy

Got a few good shots of the snow here, and Native having finished shoveling/snowblowing said snow. Looks like an icicle.

You guys in CA are missing alotta fun, seriously. This sorta weather brings out the best in people---helping neighbours, etc.

Ricu
    Just back from taking DD to work. Had the pleasure of one of my favorite sights to see. A yahoo in a Jeep Wrangler- complete with snow plow stuck in a snow bank. (yes, a Wrangler, with a plow, really...) He was workin' that shovel big time. Some just don't get that it's the brain that works the equipment- even a Wrangler, not brute force.

ROFLMAO (sorry)

R

Happy in Cali

I got to watch the Golden Gate bridge gradually emerge under a beautiful blue sky as I came through a tunnel just before crossing. I absolutely adore this image every single time.

Unfortunately, it's a 100 mile drive to school in San Francisco and when I arrived I was advised that class was canceled. A beautiful view, but not worth 40 bucks worth of gas and 6 hours of my time. Poop!
    Steph R. RN, MS

Huaband is helping bail other neighbors out of the drifted snow. No sense, I tell ya. Hell, he's home; if he starts yelling later that he's sore as all get out----I told him so.

Syck, my University posts cancellations on-line. It also flashes on the TV, but who wants to see all cancellations? They should just post NON cancellations, right?

Ricu, I just shake my head at those dang idiots. I often wonder where said (supposed) brain is located. Laugh your butt off all you want---it is warrented.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast