Thread: Hospitals face challenge of hiring experienced nurses

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Hospitals face challenge of hiring experienced nurses

What do you think of this story? http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=v...&storyid=93826

Thousands of students graduate with nursing degrees every year, and many have no problems finding a job.

But this could change as some hospitals are finding it more difficult to train them in their new position.

"One of our challenges is the fact that we are already faced with the dilemma of short-staffing with experienced nurses. When you have a graduate nurse come on board, that while they have received training, they don't really have a lot of depth or breadth of experience that can only come with time and working in the job," said John Petrov, Vice President of Human Resources at FGH.

Petrov says that a new graduate nurse needs 3-6 months of training to be orientated to the hospital and their actual position there.

This can be difficult for the experienced nurses who have to provide care for their existing patients and also take a new graduate or a couple of new graduates under their wing.

The nurses also have to show them the ropes of the hospital.

Nursing continues to be a popular major at many college universities through the country, including at Fairmont State University.

The other part of the problem is finding qualified faculty members to teach the students who are interested in the nursing field, because faculty members who are full-time have to have a masters or doctoral degree.

"That means there is a higher expectation there, which means it's harder to get the experienced or qualified faculty to teach the students," said Tanya Rogers, BSN Program Director at FSU.

Despite the challenges that the nursing industry may face in the upcoming years, Rogers says that recent graduates have had no problems landing that first job.

"Our students are still getting the jobs when they get out. Almost all of our students have jobs already lined up before they even graduate," she said.

Fairmont General Hospital says it has a handful of nurses who are getting their masters degree in nursing, and serve as possible college faculty members in the future.

I find it interesting that most of those students have jobs already lined up before they graduate. It must be regional. That is certainly not the case where I am located!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    I agree, Shelley. Not sure when, but I swear I posted an article from the Chicago Tribune about nursing jobs and lack of them. Maybe I will find it one day.