Thread: I want to be an RN, maybe an NP later on.

I want to be an RN, maybe an NP later on.

So... I want to be a nurse. I'm 24, male, and I have my B.A.

In Rhode Island I have several options available to me as far as education goes.

There are two community colleges that offer an ADN
    There are two state colleges that offer a BSN
    There is a hospital that offers a diploma program.

Obviously the ADN seems to be the quickest way and the I'm sure the BSN requires more courses, though I'm not sure how many more. One of the BSN programs said there were 57 credits in nursing while one of the ADN programs has 36. Either way, I'd have to take several science prerequisites first.

I do like the possibility of advancement, possibly to Nurse Practitioner, later in my career, so I feel that the BSN is probably the best way to go. I know that I could always just get my ADN, then go back to school for RN to BSN, then go back again for the MSN, but it seems more wise to do the BSN in the first place.

What are your thoughts on the many education possibilities for a college grad who wants to return to school for nursing?

Thanks!

Ricu

Re: I want to be an RN, maybe an NP later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamyitalian
    So... I want to be a nurse. I'm 24, male, and I have my B.A.

In Rhode Island I have several options available to me as far as education goes.

There are two community colleges that offer an ADN
    There are two state colleges that offer a BSN
    There is a hospital that offers a diploma program.

Obviously the ADN seems to be the quickest way and the I'm sure the BSN requires more courses, though I'm not sure how many more. One of the BSN programs said there were 57 credits in nursing while one of the ADN programs has 36. Either way, I'd have to take several science prerequisites first.

I do like the possibility of advancement, possibly to Nurse Practitioner, later in my career, so I feel that the BSN is probably the best way to go. I know that I could always just get my ADN, then go back to school for RN to BSN, then go back again for the MSN, but it seems more wise to do the BSN in the first place.

What are your thoughts on the many education possibilities for a college grad who wants to return to school for nursing?

Thanks!
    DearCreamy,

Wow, what a sign on name..., no questions, I promise. I would recommend pursuing the BSN program because it will lead you down the most direct path toward the advanced practice career that you seem to want. I've seem many guys through nursing programs and my perception is that most of them see themselves in advanced practice. Once you attain the BSN, you will have to work in nursing for some time. I recommend starting in med-surg which is the usual nursing trial ground. If you can survive that, you can handle anything- no kidding. After that, I recommend pursuing critical care because that is where you will experience the "end of life" or "life and death" scenarios. It is there where you will "test your metal." Once comfortable there, you will inevitably consider your options. You will then have had a fair taste of all that medicine has to offer and therefore have enough information and experience to make a decision about your future in healthcare. Think long and hard, because it's difficult to re-route your career path beyond this point.

A guy who's still working it out.

Re: I want to be an RN, maybe an NP later on.

In a perfect world, you'd have all three options. When you get down to applying, you may find choices are a bit more limited.

Nursing is "hot" in that people know a shortage is coming, it pay well and a nursing license will pretty much guarantee stable employment.

Last year, nursing programs turned away 25% of their qualified applicants due to a lack of space in the schools.

You may find yourself looking at long waiting lists and students with a 4.0 GPA competing with you on those lists.

In that respect, I'd do a little homework and find out if all the options are available. You may have to decide based on which option will get you licensed and working the fastest. If you're set on a single option, you may find yourself waiting a very long time to get started.

Though it is difficult, you can go back later for a BSN, NP, etc. However, the nursing license you get (regardless of the route) is your immediate goal and will get you started.

Wish you the best, you can find local nursing schools here, http://www.4nursingschools.com

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursing Associations, Jokes, Schools, Scrubs & More
    http://www.4nursing.com