Thread: Austin Recovery expands Detox expertise

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Austin Recovery expands Detox expertise

Thought you'd like to read this: http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...ource=r_health

Austin Recovery, the largest drug and alcohol treatment center in Texas, expanded its medical detoxification team today with the hiring of Maria Talamo, M.A., R.N., as chief nursing officer. Talamo will provide leadership on Standards of Nursing Practice at Austin Recovery. She will run Austin Recovery's Medical Detox Unit under the direction of John Luker, M.D., a board-certified and ASAM-certified addictionologist.

"Detoxification from drugs and alcohol without proper medical help can be very painful and dangerous," said Austin Recovery CEO Jonathan Ross. "We are committed to helping our clients withdraw from mood-altering chemicals and alcohol in the most comfortable and safe environment. The addition of Maria to our team builds on our expertise and adds to the level of care we have provided our clients since 1967."

Talamo brings broad experience in nursing and healthcare administration. She joins Austin Recovery from Blackhawk Healthcare, Inc., where she served as regional director for operations, interim administrator, and chief nursing officer of its Lakeside Hospital in Bastrop, Texas. She also served as CEO of Austin Lakes Hospital, an acute care psychiatric hospital located in Austin, Texas. Talamo graduated from Villanova University College of Nursing and Columbia University's Nursing Executive Masters Program. She is licensed as a Registered Nurse and she holds board certifications as a Nurse Executive Advanced - Board Certified (NEA-BC) and as a Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE).

I'm very happy to join the Austin Recovery team," said Talamo. "The level of care provided by the clinical and detox staff is top-notch." She continued, "I think my experience in operating hospitals, directing nursing departments, and building a detox program will allow me to contribute in a meaningful way to strengthen the clinical programs at Austin Recovery. I have always been impressed by the caring and compassion shown to Austin Recovery clients by the entire care team. I look forward to working with my colleagues at Austin Recovery to take our clinical programs and services to a new level."

Clients in Austin Recovery's 28-bed detox unit receive around-the-clock nursing care as well as medicine to safely and comfortably detoxify from alcohol and drug use. As detox begins to take effect, clients participate in on-going sessions with counselors and participate in an evidence-based curriculum. Detox from drugs and alcohol at Austin Recovery generally lasts five to seven days.

"Approximately two million Texans annually suffer from addiction to drugs and alcohol," said Ross. "Of those two million people, we treat approximately 2,000 each year with medical detoxification and residential treatment." He continued, "Those suffering from opiates and alcohol are most in need of detoxification. Of the 2,000 people we serve, approximately 40 percent begin their journey to recovery in our detox unit. If you or someone you love needs help, we're here for you."

More About Austin Recovery

Austin Recovery is the largest drug and alcohol addiction treatment center (http://www.austinrecovery.org) in Texas. We are CARF-accredited and provide effective and compassionate chemical dependency treatment at very affordable rates. Our transformational treatment model brings about in-depth cognitive, behavioral and spiritual changes essential for overcoming addiction. For more information, please contact us at 512-697-8500 or contact the Austin Recovery Admissions Office at 512-697-8600 or 800-373-2081.

SOURCE Austin Recovery

We need more treatment centers. Legalize drugs and end the war on drugs. We will be able to have more money available for treatment and drug education. End the illegal wars in the Iraq and Afghanistan and look at all the money available. Plus our soldiers will stop being killed for no good reason. Why do Republicans want to see the killing continue.

Off subject: wasn't FDR a Democrat? Or are the history books wrong?