Thread: Practicing the Rules of Ethics

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Practicing the Rules of Ethics

Anyone have anything to add to this story? http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art171031.asp

Nothing strikes a good debate among nurses and health care providers like the topic of ethics. What exactly is the definition of ethics? Webster’s Dictionary states the definition as the following: a branch of philosophy dealing with moral duty and with questions of what is good and bad, the rules of moral behavior governing an individual or a group.

Nurses take an oath which is The Nightingale Pledge. It is as follows: I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly to pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully. I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug. I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling. With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician, in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care.

In nursing we are confronted with ethical issues almost daily. Some issues are more dramatic and obvious while others are more subtle and ambiguous.

There are the obvious issues of ethical debate such as taking a patient off of life support, the mother who miscarried a baby from drug abuse , a baby born addicted to drugs from the mothers use of drugs during pregnancy, a underage child requesting to stop chemotherapy because it makes him or her ill and realizes the burden the treatment and disease is placing on the family, the elderly patient who has Alzheimer's and the family is requesting hospice, or a child who is on a respirator and the family has requested it be removed to allow the child to pass away quietly. The list is endless and the debate heated with strong emotion.

But what about the not so obvious ethical debates. A nurse drops a pill on the floor and picks it up and administers it to the patient, gloves not being worn and or changed for the appropriate care being given, not following proper technique and protocol for performing nursing care, not changing a incontinent patient when asked, not assisting a doctor willingly to help a patient because the nurse does not like the physician. Again the list is endless.

All of the examples above deserve the same attention and passion for debate. We should be just as concerned with each and every situation that makes us question if it is right or wrong. When a nurse takes The Nightingale Oath he or she is also taking an oath of ethics. Doing so and knowing the definition of both should ensure ethical care is given no matter what the situation is. If a debate ensues you will know you provided care with moral duty and with question of what is good and bad, you practiced your profession faithfully and to elevate the standard of your chosen profession with loyalty and commitment to those in your care. You practiced nursing according to the definition of ethics and by following The Nightingale Pledge.

Ricu
    Interesting topic,

Is there a difference between morals and ethics?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Not sure; let's look into it!

Ricu
    I believe there is a subtle difference and it is entirely practitioner dependent. I'm curious to see what we get here.

I am curious, too. This seems like a good thread to follow.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I found this article interesting and on point for this thread.

http://www.philosophyblog.com.au/eth...cs-and-morals/

Peace

H