Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nursing Retirements Have Critical Implications - Blogs - Nurse.Com Forums

Ive read articles about older nurses that no longer consider retirement because of the unstable economy, how true is this?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Very true...... If I can find some articles, will post 'em.

Update to my previous post; I start my new [full-time] job next Monday. It's a small hospital about a quick 15 min drive from my house. Going back to the OR, where I started my healthcare career over 15yrs ago. Most likely I'll re-retire in another 15yrs.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Cary,

Good to see you out there. Just curious, have you checked into your local VA? There may not be a "paying" position for this, but you have a lot to offer. I think your heart is heavy and hurting. Giving to your brethren in a way that only veterans experienced in combat can understand could be therapeutic to both parties however, only you know if you're ready for this. I believe that your experience and background are invaluable to all of us but particularly to the returning vets.

R

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Very true...... If I can find some articles, will post 'em.
    thanks! it is very clear that, with few nurses considering retirement and a large number of new nursing graduates, there are a lot of unemployed nurses every year and some nurses will be taking jobs far from their educational backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    Cary,

Good to see you out there. Just curious, have you checked into your local VA? There may not be a "paying" position for this, but you have a lot to offer. I think your heart is heavy and hurting. Giving to your brethren in a way that only veterans experienced in combat can understand could be therapeutic to both parties however, only you know if you're ready for this. I believe that your experience and background are invaluable to all of us but particularly to the returning vets.
    R
    Ricu, appreciate the kind words. You hit the nail on the head... I'm not ready for such a position as Vets helping Vets. Except, I did volunteer for out-patient group therapy, two different 12 week programs. In the past (while on active duty), my preference was always 1:1 therapy. I have a new perspective on the value of Group Therapy at the VA. We all understand what the other is talking about [Combat, in one form or another].

I'm very thankfull of this new opportunity to rejoin civilian nursing.

My job description not only includes Circulator but Scrub Nurse & PACU RN. I love it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12