Thread: Don't cut Medicaid, fund it better - CNN.com

Don't cut Medicaid, fund it better - CNN.com

Editor's note: Dr. Aaron E. Carroll is an associate professor of pediatrics at the Indiana University School of Medicine and the director of the university's Center for Health Policy and Professionalism Research. He blogs about health policy at The Incidental Economist.

(CNN) -- You can't turn on the news these days without hearing about our budget crisis. We've also been told, over and over, that it's a problem with spending -- we're doing too much of it.

There's truth in that. Even if taxes were to be raised, it's nearly impossible that we can begin to tackle the deficit without addressing the spending on Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Together, they total well over a trillion dollars in spending.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/03/1...get/index.html

Talk about stealing from Peter to pay Paul, these are the poorest of the poor who need coverage the most.

Sincerely,

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursefriendly, Inc. A New Jersey Corporation.
    38 Tattersall Drive, Mantua New Jersey 08051
    http://www.nursefriendly.com info@nursefriendly.com ICQ #6116137
    856-415-9617, (fax) 415-9618

Let's Connect! http://www.nursefriendly.com/social/

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    And now 'they' want to tax Retirement Benefits? Uh, I believe the stuff has already been taxed. I know damned well Dad is gonna 'pay again' due to Mom passing away.

Why does the Beatles song 'Tax Man' keep going 'round my mind?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Get this - In California they are trying to cut 10% across the board to medi-cal (California Medicaid plan). Most of my clients are on medical because they were either abandoned by their families so can't prove they have benefits or their parents aren't old enough to qualify. Once a disabled person's parent reaches 65 their child automatically gets on medicare.

These are severely disabled people with no source of income and virtually no options for health care. The state and federal govt has cut reimbursement rates to the point where most physicians won't even see them. I mean I had one ENT say that medi-cal only pays him $5 to do an ear cleaning. It's going to be even worse under healthcare reform. 50% of practicing physicians have said they will quit practicing medicine because they can't get paid.

The solution is right in front of our faces - stop giving away benefits to those who can work - deport all undocumented alians and there will be plenty of money for US citizens to receive care. In California we pay the third highest taxes in the nation only New York and New Jersey have higher taxes. It kills me that I work so hard and and have to give up so much of what I earn.

Ok Ok I'm ranting again............Better stop before my B/P goes up.............

Peace

H

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Funny, Illinois taxes are going up, up, up. The Jersey Gov. is 'welcoming' all the jobs over there.

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    Get this - In California they are trying to cut 10% across the board to medi-cal (California Medicaid plan). Most of my clients are on medical because they were either abandoned by their families so can't prove they have benefits or their parents aren't old enough to qualify. Once a disabled person's parent reaches 65 their child automatically gets on medicare.

These are severely disabled people with no source of income and virtually no options for health care. The state and federal govt has cut reimbursement rates to the point where most physicians won't even see them. I mean I had one ENT say that medi-cal only pays him $5 to do an ear cleaning. It's going to be even worse under healthcare reform. 50% of practicing physicians have said they will quit practicing medicine because they can't get paid.

The solution is right in front of our faces - stop giving away benefits to those who can work - deport all undocumented alians and there will be plenty of money for US citizens to receive care. In California we pay the third highest taxes in the nation only New York and New Jersey have higher taxes. It kills me that I work so hard and and have to give up so much of what I earn.

Ok Ok I'm ranting again............Better stop before my B/P goes up.............

Peace

H
    I bet you like the way immigration is being handled in Arizona. But while Cali has such high Taxes. You have such wonderful beaches. You have Napa and very beautiful wine country. You have such beautiful things like Torrey Pines golf and other wonderful golf courses. You have Hollywood, the Rose Bowl. Earthquakes. Fires and mud slides. California is such a wonderful state. Dont forget Disney land. The Angels.
    Have you ever tried Medicinal Marijuana to control your rants and your blood pressure at the same time. I hear it works wondrously well.
    Arnie, The Gubernator is retiring. Not running again, unless he is running and hiding from his soon to be ex.
    Now really, with all the good and beautiful things in California. I must say from deep in my heart. It should be a Pleasure and an Honor to be allowed to pay Taxes in a state as great as California. Far Far better than say, New Jersey, or Ohio or Iowa. You are truly blessed to be living there.

God I miss California.