Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Families Need Health Care Reform Now More Than Ever « MomsRising Blog

Why Families Need Health Care Reform Now More Than Ever « MomsRising Blog

"We, as a global community, could and should be doing more if we value our women. The majority of the global burden of maternal deaths occurs in the developing world. In fact, 66% occur in just 11 countries. While this statistic is an unjust reality, it may not be all that surprising. What did rattle me was the fact that the United States was ranked behind 40 other countries with regard to maternal care, leaving us in 41st place.

As recently as last year, this number has dropped again. According to new UN data released late last year, we now find ourselves behind 49 other countries, positioning ourselves in 50th place when it comes to a woman’s risk of dying from complications during pregnancy and childbirth.

I don’t know about you, but I find this news deplorable. The US spends more on healthcare per capita than any other country in the world and yet we are 50th in assuring women and children safer outcomes. If anything, I hope this information makes you pause, think and ask the same question I asked myself; how is this possible?

Today marks the first anniversary of Health Care Reform. Since the Patient Protection and Affordable Healthcare Act went into effect last year, now seems like as good an opportunity as any to take account of what was accomplished and what still remains precariously unsteady for those who might need care the most."
    http://www.momsrising.org/blog/why-f...ore-than-ever/

Maternal Death during pregnancy, is there more we can do to prevent it?

Sincerely,

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursefriendly, Inc. A New Jersey Corporation.
    38 Tattersall Drive, Mantua New Jersey 08051
    http://www.nursefriendly.com info@nursefriendly.com ICQ #6116137
    856-415-9617, (fax) 415-9618

150,000 + Nurse-Reviewed & Approved Nursing Links. Let's Connect! http://www.nursefriendly.com/social/

http://www.4nursing.com
    http://www.legalnursingconsultant.com
    http://www.nursinghumor.com
    http://www.nursefriendly.com
    http://www.nursingcasestudy.com
    http://www.nursingentrepreneurs.com
    http://www.nursingexperts.com

This as the Tea Party is doing all they can to take away a womans right to choose for her health care.

Ricu
    Sorry this reply is so late. Crucial point Andrew. Long before the Healthcare Reform Bill was the Millenium Development Goals project which initially revealed the statistical trends you mentioned from the World Health Organization I believe, regarding maternal and child health. Then, because of our rising infant mortality rates, the U.S. was technically considered a developing, third world nation. More pause, right? I believe the Healthcare Reform Bill would be more efficiently crafted if it were placed in the hands of a committee made up of representatives from Institute of Health, the AMA and the ANA. Take the insurance industry and bipartisan bureaucracy out of it.

My two cents,

R

So I'm assuming no one here works in research, right? What is the foundation for the UN stats? What percentage of births are by non-citizen/illegal immigrants from "developing nations"(read: grossly indaequate prenatal care, multiple con-cons, lowere SES initially)? What percentage of post-partum mortality is related to susbtance abuse? Some (coughBritaincough) nations do not include these populations in the same categories, when reporting.

Is it an issue, yes. Is it a critical issue. Mmm, not so much, unless we are the American continent's hospital.

Personally, higher education for women is the best prophylactic for overpopulation, domestic abuse, social inequity, and most of our other ills. Women with better paying jobs, and higher social standards are less likely to take Flotsam and Jetsom to bed. Women are (generally) motivated by stability. Men are motivated by sex.

In a paradigm of, "you stoopid-you no worky- you no get money-you no get laid", valuation of females tends to increase, historically.

Edit: of course, a blog is opinion. The problem is that it poses a question within a limited framework. Some research falls into this pattern as well(i.e., women don't need mammograms until >60 yoa). If you must support your theory... you will.
    Last edited by Rob72; 04-11-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Oh, heck, I'll just keep on going. We also have the highest trauma survibility rate (last time I checked) on any nation in the world. Of course, this is also premium care $$$. What no one is examining is the specific incidental use of trauma care, i.e., how many members of the same family/community use these services per annum? Is this oprtimized use of the healthcare dollar, are we saving people who contribute taxes, mentorship, education and children with the same qualities to the society?

Delivery of care is a heart-strings issue. Problem is, the law of unintended consequences will invariably have effect. Save the drunk teenager, involved in his Level I 85mph MVA twice, giving him a chance to finally wipe out a family of 6. Sure, we saved little Johnnie, but what was the real cost...

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I have to say I'm with Rob on this one - my own personal research into health care and so-called reform shows that Stats especially those put out by the UN and WHO are grossly misleading and in that they let each country self report things like infant mortality. For instance In the US all babies born at 28 weeks or greater who take their first breath are considered live births but they have a much higher rate of morbidity and mortality. In Canada babies born at or below 28 weeks are not counted in the mortality statistics even if they take their first breath. There are no heroic measures taken and when they die they are not counted as they weren't considered a live birth in the first place.

As a person who is involved in the healthcare of a grossly underserved population I can tell you the Healthcare as it is unfolding will be a nightmare. It will offer coverage to more people but drastic cuts in cost will mean a lower level of care - such as that provided in the UK where heart attack victims are routinely sent home on tylenol and even routine surgeries for things like gallstones and kidney stones and treatment for many cancers can be delayed by waiting lists for as long as two years.

I just hope the people come to their senses and repeal this dog before it's too late.

H

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    So I'm assuming no one here works in research, right? What is the foundation for the UN stats? What percentage of births are by non-citizen/illegal immigrants from "developing nations"(read: grossly indaequate prenatal care, multiple con-cons, lowere SES initially)? What percentage of post-partum mortality is related to susbtance abuse? Some (coughBritaincough) nations do not include these populations in the same categories, when reporting.

Is it an issue, yes. Is it a critical issue. Mmm, not so much, unless we are the American continent's hospital.

Personally, higher education for women is the best prophylactic for overpopulation, domestic abuse, social inequity, and most of our other ills. Women with better paying jobs, and higher social standards are less likely to take Flotsam and Jetsom to bed. Women are (generally) motivated by stability. Men are motivated by sex.

In a paradigm of, "you stoopid-you no worky- you no get money-you no get laid", valuation of females tends to increase, historically.

Edit: of course, a blog is opinion. The problem is that it poses a question within a limited framework. Some research falls into this pattern as well(i.e., women don't need mammograms until >60 yoa). If you must support your theory... you will.

Who are Flotsam and Jetsom, I taint never heard of those guys befores. Are the Basketball playa's.

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    I have to say I'm with Rob on this one - my own personal research into health care and so-called reform shows that Stats especially those put out by the UN and WHO are grossly misleading and in that they let each country self report things like infant mortality. For instance In the US all babies born at 28 weeks or greater who take their first breath are considered live births but they have a much higher rate of morbidity and mortality. In Canada babies born at or below 28 weeks are not counted in the mortality statistics even if they take their first breath. There are no heroic measures taken and when they die they are not counted as they weren't considered a live birth in the first place.

As a person who is involved in the healthcare of a grossly underserved population I can tell you the Healthcare as it is unfolding will be a nightmare. It will offer coverage to more people but drastic cuts in cost will mean a lower level of care - such as that provided in the UK where heart attack victims are routinely sent home on tylenol and even routine surgeries for things like gallstones and kidney stones and treatment for many cancers can be delayed by waiting lists for as long as two years.

I just hope the people come to their senses and repeal this dog before it's too late.

H
    I thought for a moment you were talking about this country. Where insurances are denying treatments that are too expensive and not worthwhile in saving lives or alleviating pain. Where insurance companies are denying coverage to women for mammograms, because they feel they are done to often and they do not want to pay for them. Where they are denying coverage for Colonoscopies as they do not need to be done every 5 years as recommended as they cost to much. And the list goes on. I see all these repeat gall bladders pains in the ER as Insurance companies feel they are not necessary, and if people would just change their diet, it would not be needed at all.

PS were you saying Under served or undeserved. just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Oh, heck, I'll just keep on going. We also have the highest trauma survibility rate (last time I checked) on any nation in the world. Of course, this is also premium care $$$. What no one is examining is the specific incidental use of trauma care, i.e., how many members of the same family/community use these services per annum? Is this oprtimized use of the healthcare dollar, are we saving people who contribute taxes, mentorship, education and children with the same qualities to the society?

Delivery of care is a heart-strings issue. Problem is, the law of unintended consequences will invariably have effect. Save the drunk teenager, involved in his Level I 85mph MVA twice, giving him a chance to finally wipe out a family of 6. Sure, we saved little Johnnie, but what was the real cost...

But little Johnnie might turn out to be Governor Perry. Or the Tan Man himself or is he now the crying man. For that we should pull the plug on little johnny. I have helped so many be saved. I truly admit I never wonder anymore who are what these people become. All that does is interfere with my golf.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Tom by Under served I mean the population of developmentally disabled adults in this country. I work with a group of people who since the passage of healthcare reform have slowly and in some cases quickly had their healthcare taken away. They don't get dental or eye care. Because most are on Medicaid - and they truly have no means to make money - they are being denied right and left for care. If it weren't for teaching hospitals they’d get no care at all. Most were abandoned financially by their families years ago. Those with families are often strapped for cash just paying for their day to day incidentals. They do qualify for Medicare after a parent who has paid in turns 65 and has been on Social Security for 24 months. But since Medicare will soon be a thing of the past I guess we don't have to worry about that. Did you know under the new health care reform provisions health insurance both private and public will do not have to pay for routine cardiac risk screenings - Most will only be required to pay for them only after a cardiac event has happened - so preventive care is going out the window.

PS - My insurance has paid for a mammogram every year no questions asked and until recently a pap as well - though the CDC now says Paps can be done every three years for women who are monogamous or celibate and have had 3 negative tests in row.
    Mine have been negative for years buy my insurance still pays for them.

As for eroding womans choices - what happened to personal responsibility conservatives only want to have the govt stop paying for birth control and abortion. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where babies come from. If you can't keep you pants buttoned or your knees together pay for your own abortion or birth control. Pregnancy is 100% preventable. Lets not forget that with choice comes responsibility.

H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast