Thread: Friday, May 6th, 2011

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Friday, May 6th, 2011

Morning, folks. Kinda rolled outta bed a bit late today. At least it is nice outside; I believe we are going to have a beautiful day!

Cali, how 'bout OVER $20 an hour? You are getting shorted, but....then again, nearly any job is better than nothing, right?

As for Tom's illegal aliens, the fact that they are here, working is a problem. I don't want to start a war, which will inevitably start, by heading into that subject.

Think about this: Out this way, we have the Prairie State College Test; kids get tested to show how ready they are for college. There's No Kid Left Behind...... What about the people who just can't learn? And I am NOT talking about 'slow', 'retarded', or disabled folks. You know the ones: NOT college material. Off the soapbox for a while.

That is OK. Soap Boxes are there for a reason. As far as my illegals. They did a fantastic job on my fence. Not just a good job. But a fantastic job. If you pay Americans twice as much to get a job not done nearly so well. Where is the sense in that. Is that not also a reflection on our society that we have gotten to proud or grandiose that we are above menial labor. I worked EMS/ER/housekeeping going through school for a little over 5 dollars an hour. It was goal to the end. Young people today are not willing to work for less to get what they want. Down here they love hiring young Americans to work restaurants and chains. As they speak English. But these young people would rather starve or live off their parents rather than work in menial capacities.

So if I can hire illegals at the price and get superior work, rather than Americans. I am not rich, I am a nurse. Are illegals the problem or is our attitude to work at any cost changed so much. For myself I will do whatever is necessary to support my family no matter what the work is and I will at lower prices if I had to take care of family. That is what I am all about.
    I had an American doing my lawns. He did a nice job but did not always show up and his work was not stellar. I now have an illegal who does a great job. Reliable as can be. Work is superb. He even spontaneously planted some plants we bought and did not ask for more money.And he charges less.

Now as far as the school system. It has its problems. No child left behind. And teaching towards their achievement tests has decimated the school system Thanks largely to GWB. I know all he did to schools in Texas while Governor. Yes not all children are geared for college. Should they then be steered to other education. That opens a whole new area of concerns. Do we establish to levels of schools. One for college and the other for trade or service oriented labor. Wow, the ramifications here.

BTW, nice morning y'all. Weather is wonderful, The world is flawed but I am happy as a clam. BTW isnt today Happy Nurses Day.
    Are y'all ready for mothers day. I am.

I love a good discussion.

Cool

Yeah, one of the agencies that never gave me work bragged about having cases where they paid $25 an hour. I think that was as much of a ruse as the nonexistent cases they described in their job ads. There are agencies that pay LPN/LVNs $24 or $25 an hour for extended care but they are few and far between and as picky as can be. Most agencies in my area are on the $14 to $16 an hour bandwagon. Nursing assistants make more money in many jobs. I honestly wish I had all the money and time I have wasted in nursing school.

I woke up a little before nine. I suspect it is beautiful outside. I might go out and check before I have to go to work this afternoon. If today is Happy Nurses Day, well then, Happy Nurses Day.