Thread: How will you handle unexpected circumstances ?

How will you handle unexpected circumstances ?

How will you handle unexpected circumstances, such as being short staffed and having to perform a treatment you have not done before?

Share your views

Simple I do what needs to be done and I don't fret the little things in life.

All little problems are actually no problem at all, and all problems are really little problems.

I would ask the charge RN or another staff RN and if they are busy I would call the Nursing Supervisor for support.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I work with disabled adults in a community setting and every day has unexpected circumstances - like my first week - when I went to do a dressing change on a pressure ulcer (mind you I'd been doing psych nursing for the past 5 years and the only pressure ulcer I had ever seen were the fake ones in nursing school 10 years ago). I pulled the dressing off and was confronted by a deep oozing stage 4 hole I could have put an egg into. Did I mention the smell? I just rolled up my sleeves and examined the packing material and dressed the wound then I called the wound center and went for a quick lesson in wound care.

Like Tom I try not to frett too much over life's little surprises....but I do try to assess and prioritize then roll up my sleeves and dive in. Ultimately if the job is done and the outcome is positive.....you can sleep at night knowing you did the right thing.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

PS - That wound healed just fine and I have since become certified in wound care!

Ricu
    Nursing is a career packed full of unexpected things and we are trained, on the job mostly, to handle it.

I am also clairvoyant so I am never surprised.

I try not to frett too much over life's little surprises