Thread: Police: California student disappearance a homicide

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Police: California student disappearance a homicide

Anyone else following this story? http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_missing_nursing_student

While police on Monday said conclusive evidence in the case of missing Northern California nursing student Michelle Le points to homicide, her family said they believe she is still alive and urged everyone to remain hopeful.

Hayward police Capt. Darryl McAllister said a forensic examination of Le's car and the parking garage where the vehicle was found, video evidence from the garage, and other evidence have led them to believe the 26-year-old was killed.

No suspects have been arrested, but detectives are questioning people of interest. McAllister said more than 25 people had been interviewed so far, and the Alameda County district attorney is evaluating the evidence.

"My heart goes out to this family for dealing with this ordeal to begin with — anyone who's loved one suddenly ends up missing under very suspicious circumstances," McAllister said, adding that the family was at the station Monday evening discussing the decision with investigators. "What the family goes through in those times trying to find answers ... is agonizing."

Le was last seen May 27, when the Merritt College nursing student took a work break during a clinical rotation shift at a Hayward, Calif., hospital and never returned. In addition to evidence from her car and the video surveillance system, police said Le's cellphone records and items collected during search warrants also indicate that she was killed.

McAllister said he did not want to jeopardize the investigation by elaborating further but confirmed that the evidence points conclusively to homicide. Investigators were searching remote areas of Alameda County for Le's body, McAllister said.

The news came hours after the reward for information leading to Le's safe return increased to $65,000.

Her family posted a message late Monday on a website tracking search efforts.
    "The family believes Michelle is alive. Don't give up hope everyone. We're still going to keep at it," it read.

On Sunday, Le's family expressed frustration with the pace of the Hayward police investigation and called for the FBI to take over. A Le family spokeswoman did not return a message seeking comment about the homicide designation.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I was following this about 6 mos ago - but haven't looked into it lately - there was some mention at that time of a boy friend who was a "person of interest" but I don't think that ever panned out....

P and N

Hppy

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    You mean there was another case like this a few months ago? Wild!

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Maybe it was another case - as the one I read about was almost 6 months old when I read about it but it sounded to familiar - or perhaps it's the work of a seriel killer who has a thing for nursing students.